Things I learned today (Part 1)

Soc Dems would probably have joint Taoiseach

The name Taoiseach is a term of the patriarchy, under the socdems it will be renamed the Sheseach

2 Likes

Or Geeseach?

5 Likes

Germans are the most predominant ancestry in the United States.

Ireland and the UK seem to dominate the hick states.

1 Like

Norwegian is not one I would have guessed

I’d say that’s mostly Ulster Prods in Dixieland.

I was informed that the vote for German to be the national language of the US of A was lost by a single vote.

Up around Fargo country.

2 Likes

Most likely.

That’s really incredible given the size of Ireland compared to those other countries though

1 Like

Yes but we shipped over about 5 million of our population after the famine.

1 Like

Hillbillys would be predominantly from Irish or Scotch lineage

That’s a myth.

Germans mainly farmed and moved to the quieter Midwest, away from the coastal media glare that the Mick and Italians grew up in. Combined with a conscious decision to abandon the language and culture during both wars.

I know thats what I mean though. Sometimes one might think we are exaggerating the scale of our emigration or the imprint on America with all ‘thick paddy and his shamrock on Paddy’s day getting patronised’ type stuff some lads go on with but even objectively the Irish influence over there is unreal given the whole world was heading there in droves for a long time.

Surprised Sweden isn’t there.

The German states look to be the least populated ones also. It’d be interesting to see the data represented in terms of percentage of population, rather than by state.

1 Like

40 million Americans claim German ancestry, 30 million claim Irish ancestry. Claim is the key word though, I’d say a good half of the “Irish” I’ve met here when interrogated either don’t know or are confusing Ireland with Scotland or even England.

Dublin people are obsessed with Aidan O Shea

1 Like