Things I learned today (Part 1)

[QUOTE=“Chucks Nwoko, post: 1149651, member: 2812”]Fair point.

How do i delete posts?[/QUOTE]

fuck him.

It’s things you learned today, not things relevant to other posters.

[QUOTE=“Chucks Nwoko, post: 1149651, member: 2812”]Fair point.

How do i delete posts?[/QUOTE]

Don’t mind that ape. I found it interesting.

[QUOTE=“count of monte cristo, post: 1149663, member: 348”]fuck him.

It’s things you learned today, not things relevant to other posters.[/QUOTE]
Fuck you @glasagusban, fuck you.

We can’t do friendly ratings now either? FFS sake @Rocko

Now you’re just doing what other posters tell you.

[QUOTE=“briantinnion, post: 1149662, member: 6”]I am fascinated by World War II and the Nazis. I learned today that the French Resistance was still out to get Nazis as late as 1976.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joachim_Peiper[/QUOTE]

That’s a great read. Fascinating.

[QUOTE=“briantinnion, post: 1149662, member: 6”]I am fascinated by World War II and the Nazis. I learned today that the French Resistance was still out to get Nazis as late as 1976.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joachim_Peiper[/QUOTE]

I missed this but it looks interesting

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b05x30lb/1945-the-savage-peace

When the Second World War ended, the people of liberated Europe celebrated their freedom from Nazi tyranny. Their years of suffering had ended, but for millions of Germans, the end of the conflict opened a new and terrible chapter.

The Savage Peace reveals the appalling violence meted out to the defeated, especially to those ethnic Germans who had lived peacefully for centuries in neighbouring countries. Using rare and unseen archive film, the documentary tells a harrowing story of vengeance against German civilians, which mirrored some of the worst cruelty of the Nazi occupiers during the years of war. The Savage Peace includes the unique testimony of eyewitnesses and victims, who recall the horrors with searing clarity, their memories undimmed 70 years after the events took place. This a story that has, until now, been untold amidst the justified celebration of an end to an unspeakable tyranny. But as the writer George Orwell said, the treatment of the defeated Germans was a terrible crime that has gone unpunished

[QUOTE=“TheUlteriorMotive, post: 1149753, member: 2272”]I missed this but it looks interesting

When the Second World War ended, the people of liberated Europe celebrated their freedom from Nazi tyranny. Their years of suffering had ended, but for millions of Germans, the end of the conflict opened a new and terrible chapter.

The Savage Peace reveals the appalling violence meted out to the defeated, especially to those ethnic Germans who had lived peacefully for centuries in neighbouring countries. Using rare and unseen archive film, the documentary tells a harrowing story of vengeance against German civilians, which mirrored some of the worst cruelty of the Nazi occupiers during the years of war. The Savage Peace includes the unique testimony of eyewitnesses and victims, who recall the horrors with searing clarity, their memories undimmed 70 years after the events took place. This a story that has, until now, been untold amidst the justified celebration of an end to an unspeakable tyranny. But as the writer George Orwell said, the treatment of the defeated Germans was a terrible crime that has gone unpunished[/QUOTE]

there’s always loads of stuff that gets buried by the revisionists …did they ever do a documentary on the looting and messing that went on during the london Blitz?..I remember reading an article once about all tales of 'the spirit 'of the blitz being a load of tosh and its was more case of everyman for himself …during rationing, the food and clothes coupons were been robbed off people, dead bodies were searched for jewellery and looters dressed up as air raid wardens to break into shops and then take off with the loot in an ambulance…

That’s the Brits for you.

Myles Dungan has a history show on Radio 1 - Battle of Waterloo was being discussed on last one - again bodies being robbed of an valuables and teeth being chiselled out to make dentures for people and shortly afterwards tourists would arrive to visit battlefield

asked about why Napoleon was not executed and said that was not the done thing - it would not have been thought about at all to execute an opposing general

anybody know any good history podcasts

[QUOTE=“TheUlteriorMotive, post: 1149796, member: 2272”]Myles Dungan has a history show on Radio 1 - Battle of Waterloo was being discussed on last one - again bodies being robbed of an valuables and teeth being chiselled out to make dentures for people and shortly afterwards tourists would arrive to visit battlefield

asked about why Napoleon was not executed and said that was not the done thing - it would not have been thought about at all to execute an opposing general

anybody know any good history podcasts[/QUOTE]

Dan Carlins Hardcore History. They’re long but epic.

[QUOTE=“TheUlteriorMotive, post: 1149796, member: 2272”]

anybody know any good history podcasts[/QUOTE]

BBC history today. Bit English though.

Any particularly good episodes to start with?

The Roman Empire one is brilliant. He makes it fascinating. About 4 separate podcasts. The recent world war 1 is good too

[QUOTE=“TheUlteriorMotive, post: 1149753, member: 2272”]I missed this but it looks interesting

The Savage Peace reveals the appalling violence meted out to the defeated, especially to those ethnic Germans who had lived peacefully for centuries in neighbouring countries. Using rare and unseen archive film, the documentary tells a harrowing story of vengeance against German civilians, which mirrored some of the worst cruelty of the Nazi occupiers during the years of war. The Savage Peace includes the unique testimony of eyewitnesses and victims, who recall the horrors with searing clarity, their memories undimmed 70 years after the events took place. This a story that has, until now, been untold amidst the justified celebration of an end to an unspeakable tyranny. But as the writer George Orwell said, the treatment of the defeated Germans was a terrible crime that has gone unpunished[/QUOTE]

Just watched that. Compelling stuff. The Czechs don’t come out of it looking too good.

The most important political thinker of his time is a huge Monaghan man.

Although born and bred in the slums of Edinburgh, James Connolly always felt an affinity to the birth-land of his parents. Daddy John Connolly and Mammy Mary McGinn were both born in the townland of Boughill in the parish of Kileevan, Co. Monaghan.

John and Mary :clap:

https://scontent-nrt1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/t31.0-8/q92/s960x960/11336898_856846967756032_2142088790105619295_o.jpg

Calvin Harris is in a relationship with Taylor Swift. She is besotted.

She has seen more German helmets than Hitler at this stage.

Fair play to Harris he gets about

[ATTACH=full]3052[/ATTACH] this may be helpful here