Things I learned today (Part 2)

The Appalachians in the US, the Highlands in Scotland, and the Atlas mountains in Morocco were once all part of the same mountain range before Pangea broke up.

3 Likes

As is all of Ireland

1 Like

So coming out from Callan, past the graveyard, down about a mile or so there’s Trenchmore Wood, you’re into Tipp then. Past Poulacapple and on until a tight righthander, then back into the parish of Windgap and the pub at Kilamery. Then on back into Tipp before Ninemilehouse.

Stephen Fry is the president of the MCC.

2 Likes

That’s a grand little pub in Kilamery. I was only in it the once. With The Dow as it happened. There was a match on the TV as we travelled, and we says to ourselves we wouldn’t watch it in Tipp.

That’s a bad bend alright. Whenever we passed the father would always tell the story of the two lads cutting hay in the two fields on the bend. They’d always start in the first field and then move onto the second field. But for some reason this one year they started in the second field. And sure enough didn’t a car miss the bend and ploughed straight into where they would have been standing in the first field…

2 Likes

The house on the corner is owned by a grand family, farmers who’s kids all went to school in Callan. Bought hurls off the auld boy. We’d have a couple of underage pints in Killamery before heading to a Windgap disco.

A tale as old as the bend in the road itself. There’s one of those bends in every county.

3 Likes

Probably. :farmer: :man_farmer: :woman_farmer:

Brave lads…

Three things:

Liverpool was a predominantly Tory city until the 60s.
It also had the only Irish nationalist MP outside Ireland in 1913.

Padraig Pearses father was brought up in Birmingham.

3 Likes

Oliver Cromwell was executed after he died naturally. Reference made to it in this novel (a cracking read)

“When King Charles II was recalled from exile, his new parliament, in January 1661, ordered the disinterment of the elder Cromwell’s body from Westminster Abbey, as well as those of John Bradshaw and Henry Ireton, for a posthumous execution at Tyburn. The three bodies were left hanging “from morning till four in the afternoon”[1] before being cut down and beheaded. The heads were then placed on 20-foot (6.1 m) poles and displayed on the roof of Westminster Hall[2] (the location of the trial of Charles I).”

2 Likes

Serves the cunt right.

Why? What did he do?

What?

1 Like

Oliver had it coming. He gave the Louth lads an even worse hiding than Kerry did.

4 Likes

Danni Alves has been in custody in Barcelona since last January after a 23-year-old lady alleged he had sexually assaulted her.

Found that book a very enjoyable read

Best I’ve read in a while.

1 Like

“The rest is history”?

Yes.

1 Like