Things I learned today (Part 2)

Where’s he from after that?

Denmark

Interesting

Does he know Kevs mate I wonder

2 Likes

The first Volkswagen ever built outside Germany was produced in Dublin in 1950.

Beetles were assembled in a former tram depot in Ballsbridge, which is now the premises for Ballsbridge Motors who are still a Volkswagen dealer to this day. The assembly line later moved to a new factory premises on the Naas Road in 1955. Assembly of the Beetle continued there until 1980 when production of the car ceased in Europe. Volkswagen vehicle assembly continued in Dublin until the mid-1980s when production ceased.

1 Like

Numerous motor companies assembled vehicles here in the old days. I think there were punitive tariffs on cars that weren’t assembled here. They were imported on kit form and put together here. Fords, Vauxhalls, Renaults, Hillman Hunters and Fiats were assembled this way here.

1 Like

He was the eight most expensive player ever at the time of joining Liverpool. Holy fuck.

King Kenny eh?

Mind you Jack Grealish is currently the sixth most expensive ever.

Yep. I found this to be a highly educational page. I knew about Fords and Renault, but the others I found a fascinating read. My grandfather worked at Fords from 1919 to 1930. He smuggled IRA guns from Cork to Abbeyfeale in a Fords van in 1920 at the height of the Tans War. Him and my gran never owned any make other than a Ford their entire lives. My parents were marred in ‘74 and their first 4 cars were all Ford, a loyalty to the company that my father was brought up with. It was only after my grandad died in 1986 that they finally bought a non Ford car - a Nissan Sentra.

4 Likes

How old are you mate? My grandfather was born in 1917 and your’s was born latest 1903?

My parents were married in '66 as mid 20 year olds. I dunno, maybe I’m missing something here. Up Forest!

I’m 38. My grandfather was born in 1900, he was 48 when my father came along. And my gran was 45.

What is it you’re missing? :grin:

2 Likes

A scandal in the family.

I’ll let you know when I find one

1 Like

St. Patrick is also the patron saint of Nigeria. Alex O’Wobi was heard to say “Cíalionn sé níos mó” as he scored the winning goal for the Merseyside Irish last night.

Big Ben owes its name to Nottingham. It is named after Ben Caunt, Hucknall boxer.

Also, Nottingham Cathedral was designed by the same architect, Augustus Pugin.

2 Likes

Pugin designed many churches around Wexford including Enniscorthy cathedral and Tintern Abbey. Lived in Wexford also.

1 Like

Very interesting. Rather significant that most of his ecclesiastical work was on Roman Catholic buildings - churches, convents, etc. Just as they were being allowed to build again after 1829 Emancipation Act.

The commentators in the down Kerry game are entertaining.

He converted in order to get the work, believe it or not.

1 Like

Joaquin Phoenix was in Parenthood. He was Gary the psycho young kid. He was credited as Leaf Phoenix for the movie.

1 Like

A student of Pugin, McCarthy designed Kilmallock church.