Things I learned today (Part 2)

Rafael Benitez is the first manager since 1894 to have managed both sides in a derby game

Merseyside derby only, surely?

George Graham would have managed both Tottenham and Arsenal. As would Terry Neill, for that matter.

I presume so. It was mentioned in commentary lady night is all

They had no ways of making him talkā€¦

3 Likes

Roddy?

The merseyside derby is tranmere vs Everton

They gave ALL the journalists in Ireland an award this evening.

3 Likes

He was laying land mimes

1 Like

I actually thought of that one first and went with the other!

1 Like

Van Gogh had a career as an artist of only ten years.

Iā€™m really struggling for a pun here.

external-content.duckduckgo.com

7 Likes

Nothing has ever been scientifically proven

1 Like

George Michael wrote a second Christmas song

Heā€™d have lasted 20 with both :ear: s

Black paint didnā€™t really exist until late 19th century so any iron work or lampposts you see painted black, in a period Christmas movie for example, would in Charles Dickensā€™ time have been light blue, green or grey.

1 Like

About the fake plaques around Dublin

Fr. Pat Noise plaque - Wikipedia

1 Like

bro?

before the 19th century, no paintings had black in them?

Yeah they couldnā€™t make it in any great quantity.

Also missing from the painterā€™s palette was a strong black. Permanent black paint, distilled from tar and pitch, wasnā€™t popularly available until the late nineteenth century. So all the glossy black front doors, railings, gates, lampposts, gutters, downpipes and other fittings that are such an elemental feature of Londonā€™s streets today are actually quite recent. If we were to be thrust back in time to Dickensā€™s London, one of the most startling differences to greet us would be the absence of black painted surfaces. In the time of Dickens, almost all ironwork was green, light blue or dull grey.

1 Like

From about 17,300 years ago.

20a16f01a127422ccaddfc3aa6e46d7d

8 Likes