Things that are right

youve gone up a nothc in my book farmerinthecity, congratulations you are now at one notch.

in any case, I must away…

Why so coy, Farmer?

Having a serious appetite before going for a meal.

At the gala winners concert here for the Feis Ceoil in the NCH. This country is stuffed with talented youngsters and I have every confidence we will work our way out of our current muddles.

My little girl spoke her first word of Irish today. Little legend.

Was this before or after you abandoned her to go for a fancy meal in Galway?

Daddy?

Your ever increasing smart arse outlook is less endearing than you may wish Rocko. If you’d read the Galway thread you’d have realised that Galway was last week. Just thanking those who helped with a superb day away.

In other news, we invented a superb drinking game at nemesis’ birthday celebrations yesterday.

Bainne

Successfully booked a table for brunch in a Howth dining emporium. Scripted out what I’d say beforehand on the phone and stuck to it and the call passed without incident.

Felt lazy today so had breakfast brought to the room. Orange juice, fruit salad, scrambled egg with salmon,toast and some soda cake bread and coffee. Checkout isn’t till 2pm so I’m gonna stay in bed until 1.30 and go find some cake and coffee before hitting the road.

Well done Rocko, mate. The Tombolo can be an intimidating place.

How did you like House Rocko?

Jogging on the beach of the fingal riviera with the sun showing it’s face for the first time in weeks and waves breaking all the way from irelands eye in.

All at 3 degrees Celsius?

:clap:

[quote=“Kinvara’s Passion, post: 751937, member: 686”]All at 3 degrees Celsius?

:clap:[/quote]

You wouldn’t feel it when you’re moving. Had a dog with me today too, great craic.

I hope you were singing Canadian Geese by Damo in your head while you were at it…

Brown envelope taking politicians and cunty landlords. Two fingers. :clap:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0325/378314-bewleys-grafton-st-rent-must-fall-to-market-value/

[INDENT=6][SIZE=14px][FONT=Arial]A High Court judge has ruled that the rent payable by Bewley’s Oriental Café in Grafton Street, Dublin, to its landlord must be allowed to fall in line with the currently depressed open market rate.[/FONT][/SIZE][/INDENT]
[INDENT=6][SIZE=14px][FONT=Arial]The restaurant’s landlord, Ickendel Limited, which is owned by Johnny Ronan’s Treasury Holdings Group, had claimed it was entitled to a five-yearly upwards only rent review.[/FONT][/SIZE][/INDENT]
[INDENT=6][SIZE=14px][FONT=Arial]The decision of Mr Justice Peter Charleton will have significant repercussions for landlords who have been claiming upwards only reviews and will be widely welcomed by hard pressed shop tenants.[/FONT][/SIZE][/INDENT]
[INDENT=6][SIZE=14px][FONT=Arial]Judge Charleton said that to proceed towards ever-increasing sums in rent every five years, while deflation had decreased, was to substitute an unreal figure for the rent.[/FONT][/SIZE][/INDENT]
[INDENT=6][SIZE=14px][FONT=Arial]He said the existing lease between Bewley’s and Ickendel clearly stipulated that the rent was never to fall below the initial agreement of 1987.[/FONT][/SIZE][/INDENT]
[INDENT=6][SIZE=14px][FONT=Arial]However, an open market clause in the agreement could only reasonably be construed so as to allow for a fall in rent, which had increased to €1.5m because of upwards only reviews since 1987.[/FONT][/SIZE][/INDENT]
[INDENT=6][SIZE=14px][FONT=Arial]The Bewley’s rent agreement had a built in five-year review and the case was regarded as a test in the contentious area of upward rent review lease agreements.[/FONT][/SIZE][/INDENT]
[INDENT=6][SIZE=14px][FONT=Arial]Gavin Ralston, SC, counsel for Bewley’s, had claimed the issue could not be of more vital importance to the company’s financial survival and contended the lease allowed rents to fall as well as fluctuate up.[/FONT][/SIZE][/INDENT]
[INDENT=6][SIZE=14px][FONT=Arial]Ickendel Ltd, part of Treasury Holdings which is currently in NAMA, had argued the rent could not fall under the terms of the decades-old agreement.[/FONT][/SIZE][/INDENT]
[INDENT=6][SIZE=14px][FONT=Arial]The case hinged on the interpretation of a key clause in the lease agreement.[/FONT][/SIZE][/INDENT]
[INDENT=6][SIZE=14px][FONT=Arial]Mr Ralston argued that the court was entitled to ask if the 1987 agreement intended to trap the restaurant owner in such a serious position.[/FONT][/SIZE][/INDENT]
[INDENT=6][SIZE=14px][FONT=Arial]Judge Charleton said a review of the 1987 agreement had in 2007 fixed a rent of €1,463,964 and this figure, at least, was now being claimed by the landlord for the 2012 rent review.[/FONT][/SIZE][/INDENT]
[INDENT=6][SIZE=14px][FONT=Arial]“This is on the basis that the lease expressly provides that the rent cannot decrease on review,” the judge said.[/FONT][/SIZE][/INDENT]
[INDENT=6][SIZE=14px][FONT=Arial]“That sum would not now be obtained for these premises on the open market. There has been a marked decrease in the rents obtainable for retail premises and food outlets.”[/FONT][/SIZE][/INDENT]
[INDENT=6][SIZE=14px][FONT=Arial]He said the parties had bargained in 1987 so as to agree never to fall below the initially agreed rent but he could not see, from the lease, that they had bargained thereafter for anything other than a fair open market rent.[/FONT][/SIZE][/INDENT]
[INDENT=6][SIZE=14px][FONT=Arial]This could rise and it could fall.[/FONT][/SIZE][/INDENT]
[INDENT=6][SIZE=14px][FONT=Arial]Judge Charleton said the rent review clause could only reasonably be construed so as to allow for a fall in rent, but never below the rent initially agreed in 1987.[/FONT][/SIZE][/INDENT]
[INDENT=6][SIZE=14px][FONT=Arial]An ambiguity in the clause required a commercial construction and it was not in accordance with business sense that a rent appropriate to five years previously should govern a hospitality market markedly changed for the worse.[/FONT][/SIZE][/INDENT]

I was in forum favourite pub The 51 on Sat night. A very pleasant experience with the barman dropping pints down to our table each round, a bit of a novelty in a Dublin city centre pub on a Sat night.

There was a speed dating event on in the pub too so I’d speculate that quite a few of the TFK 51 regulars could also have been in attendance.

The sun was out on Saturday