Things to do in Waterford

Will your issue be accompanying you?

You’ve really cut to the chase there. I have many issues and will, unfortunately be bringing most of them with me, hopefully in surpressed form. Any ideas for a good weekend for me and MrsJ?

1 Like

Do you want to stay in the city, out a bit or in West Waterford. Hotel options in the city are not great.

1 Like

You could go for a swim and make some new friends.

2 Likes

What time of the year are you going and are you bringing the children?

We did a last minute greenway stayover / visit a couple of years ago. Stayed in Dungarvan, well just outside, and cycled from there to Kilmac, as the locals call it, and back. So that’s halfway x2 = a full greenway. Found it very enjoyable. Booked dinner in that decently rated restaurant The Tannery and had a little pub crawl. Accommodation was last minute and couldn’t get anything in town so stayed in an old house just outside called Cappagh House, booked via Air BnB. Host was delightful Scottish lady who drove us into town and produced all sorts of treats like homemade soda bread, stewed apple, scones, buns etc. We went from Dungarvan to Cliff House for a couple of nights. It was a splendid getaway.

3 Likes

I can confirm that us locals do indeed call it Kilmac.

No kids. Just us Fagan. Most likely early october.

Not looking for a threesome thanks @balbec

1 Like

Open to all options Geoff. Thanks.

Cliff House.

1 Like

Geoff is right about hotels in the City. Not great. The Granville has an old world charm and is right in the city centre. But it doesn’t have a spa.
If you wanted to explore the East of the County, Dunmore, Tramore and the Copper Coast, Faithlegg House is a good 4 star hotel but it’s out a bit from the town so it would be a taxi in and out of the City.

To get the best out of the Greenway I’d say stay in Dungarvan and cycle as Bandage says to Kilmac and back. Go as far as the Coach House stop for coffee and cycle back. You could try stay in the Tannery rooms and have your dinner there. Or you could stay in the Park Hotel - but that’s not as nice as Faithlegg.

From Dungarvan you are close enough to the Copper Coast. When driving through Stradbally to the Copper Coast it is usually a good idea to stop and ask a local did they ever find that postman.

Dungarvan is also handy enough for Lismore and is close to the Comeraghs. Mahon Falls is a lovely spot for a mountain walk and there is a magic road on the way up to it that starts at the Fairy Bush. Stop the Berlingo, put the Berlingo into neutral and it will roll back up the hill. Unreal.

On your way back come back along the coast road to Tramore. It’s Irelands equivalent of the Pacific Highway. Have a swim in the Guillomene and your brunch in the Waterfront. Then walk up to the Seagull bakery and bring a sourdough home to Portmarnock.

Don’t mind the Cliff House, it’s too far away from the Greenway and full of the worst kind of Cork bourgeoisie and agrarian types off for a dirty weekend like Mary Lowry and Pat Quirke.

12 Likes

Thanks @Fagan_ODowd. Is the Dungarvan-Kilmac bit not the shit half of the greenway though? Isn’t the city-Kilmac bit the bit with the tunnel etc?

Dungarvan Kilmac has the tunnel and the viaduct and the best sea view of any Greenway in Ireland.

3 Likes

@Fagan_ODowd has touched most of the bases there. If you’re looking for upmarket in town, Waterford Castle is probably your best option. It’s out on the island, you get a ferry across. They’ve got a golf course out there as well if you’re into the whole golf thing.

Cooper Coast is a great drive. If you have young kids, best playground on Copper Coast is in Fenor.

Dunmore East is the more upmarket coastal destination for city types, Tramore a lot more earthier. The Strand probably your best bet if you decide to stay in Dunmore. Dunmore will be starting to get a bit quieter by early October.

West Waterford, Blackwater Valley up around Lismore and Cappoquin is fabulous. There’s a spectacular drive from Cappoquin out into the Knockmealdowns and up to the Tipperary frontier at the Vee. Mahon Falls in the Comeraghs great for hiking/scenery as well.

1 Like

It seems to me that most of the advice you’ve had on Waterford is to stay out of it.

1 Like

That’s because he never asked me!

1 Like

Its not. But it is a grand hotel really.

My father has told me about the book alright. What’s the inside track here?

He could play a game of tennis in Dunmore on either the upper or lower court. Alternatively he could play on the swing in the adjacent playground.

3 Likes

He could plug his car in and out at the electric charging point.

1 Like