Things you'll do after Covid

do you think that the culture of volunteerism that you see in the GAA especially and to a lesser extent soccer will be damaged by Covid? are fellas going to reliase how much of their lives they were pissing away into some of these causes ?..does it go beyond enjoyment?
if i was at home now it would be for the 7 year old

sat - 10am gah training and in june go games home away - i coach
sat - 4pm from july soccer - id be sucked in
sun - 10am soccer - i coach
tue - 7pm soccer - i coach
fri - hurling - fk that - ill talk him out of it

where i coach i need to be there 30 min before
ye’d be sick of it

4 Likes

I think initially you’ll see a bounce as people are keen to get out but at the end of this season you could see a lot of people re-evaluating.

Most are only coaching cause there child is going anyways and they won’t pull the child out, so will probably continue to help out.

1 Like

A Friday Dublin Bike ride traversing the city to arrive at the 51 by 12.19 at the latest to avoid the usual large queue. Walking up the side lane and going in the back door (ahoy!). Ordering a chicken curry (half and half) from Chef Alan. Watching Alan growl as he surveys the queue beginning to form behind me. Hearing Alan roar down to the kitchen staff for more chips. Taking the lovingly prepared and generously portioned lunch to the pay area to be greeted by PJ. Sharing some friendly chat about the events of the day, usually the GAA fixtures for the coming weekend, with the expert bar manager from Westmeath. Strolling down along the bar to our favoured high stool spot where @Cesc4 will already be safely ensconced. Commence eating the delicious fare, glancing up to bid good day to the rest of the crew as they arrive @Rocko, @briantinnion, @ClarkeyCat. Enjoying some lively group chat while we eat, whether it be about accounting technical standards updates, pizza ovens or the futility of life itself. Ordering post lunch Baileys and Irish Coffees from Aidan or Caroline and continuing to put the world to rights. Deciding to have a quick pint of Guinness at 13.55, knowing the 2-hour lunch break is coming to an end, but making plans to reconvene at 16.30.

8 Likes

Hope you and the family are staying safe. Are you in Israel for the foreseeable future now?

I think WFH makes it easier for a lot of people to get out to coach/get kids training. I used to have to leave work early to get ahead of traffic to get out home collect the young lad and head coaching at 6 on a Monday and sometimes a Wednesday. Now it’s much easier to head direct from home.

Medium term I think people will reassess a lot of running around they did and won’t feel so bad if they miss or can’t do something. But I think kids schedules and sport will fill back up and it’s other stuff people will be quicker to let go.

Coach my SRFC youths team in the morning, instilling the importance of winning into the 5 year olds.

Back home. Wonder if any of the older gentlemen I passed en route could be @Fagan_ODowd .

Into the 51 for a chicken curry with rice and chips and a couple of pints with @Bandage and @ClarkeyCat and @LetterkennyMan.

Get text from @briantinnion to say he’s canceled the day.

Off to Croke Park to get bored watching Dublin beating some hapless muldoon county at a stroll. Or the Aviva to watch a 0-0 draw between Ireland and some newly created slavic micro state.

Back out to Iveagh Gardens to watch Damo putting on a show.

Try to keep the peace between @Juhniallio and @Bandage who have never quite hit it off.

Back to the 51 for a few later drinks. Tell Bandage to marry his partner and make an honest woman of her. Have a few laughs at @Appendage’s expense.

Back home. Look at my phone in a drunken stupor at 3am. Fire up TFK, find a borderline post from @maroonandwhite and ban him for a week.

25 Likes

Dutch courage - Wikipedia.

3 Likes

I’m coaching the u7s tonight, but I also had some business to attend to in the office.
So I went in for the morning and came home at lunchtime to avoid a mad rush later in the evening. That type of flexibility is brilliant.

5 Likes

Will they know you’re the coach?

1 Like

Will you be the lad riding the tree?

1 Like

To be fair, Stephens Green is looking well