Time to stop eating Fish -Harmless Horsebox destroying the World

Are cows the cause of global warming?

A cow does on overage release between 70 and 120 kg of Methane per year. Methane is a greenhouse gas like carbon dioxide (CO2). But the negative effect on the climate of Methane is 23 times higher than the effect of CO2. Therefore the release of about 100 kg Methane per year for each cow is equivalent to about 2’300 kg CO2 per year.
Let’s compare this value of 2’300 kg CO2: The same amount of carbon dioxide (CO2) is generated by burning 1’000 liters of petrol. With a car using 8 liters of petrol per 100 km, you could drive 12’500 km per year (7’800 miles per year).

World-wide, there are about 1.5 billion cows and bulls. All ruminants (animals which regurgitates food and re-chews it) on the world emit about two billion metric tons of CO2-equivalents per year. In addition, clearing of tropical forests and rain forests to get more grazing land and farm land is responsible for an extra 2.8 billion metric tons of CO2 emission per year!

According to the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) agriculture is responsible for 18% of the total release of greenhouse gases world-wide (this is more than the whole transportation sector). Cattle-breeding is taking a major factor for these greenhouse gas emissions according to FAO. Says Henning Steinfeld, Chief of FAO’s Livestock Information and Policy Branch and senior author of the report: “Livestock are one of the most significant contributors to today’s most serious environmental problems. Urgent action is required to remedy the situation.”

Livestock now use 30 percent of the earth’s entire land surface, mostly permanent pasture but also including 33 percent of the global arable land used to producing feed for livestock, the report notes. As forests are cleared to create new pastures, it is a major driver of deforestation, especially in Latin America where, for example, some 70 percent of former forests in the Amazon have been turned over to grazing.

2 Likes

Dungeon this shit

6 Likes

The cat’s out of the (drowning) bag now, KP. I imagine this explosive* news will grind the country to a halt as we decide what to do about it.

Nothing to see here.

Move on Roy

Who knew cows produced so much methane?
Why hasn’t this been brought up before?

The after-effects of the BBQ must have been hole-opening. A few dodgy burgers shouldn’t cause this type of overreaction.

the bombshell I just dropped doesn’t take into account transport costs to the consumer

did somebody just mention Pesco vegetarianism??

Joe Healy is on the phone to Terry Prone as we speak. This ‘story’ will be buried by 5pm.

It’s the shit is the problem.

1 Like

Welcome to 1995, you thick cunt.

4 Likes

Methane capture is going to be big business shortly.

I’ve developed a device that is fitted to cattle sheds. It sucks in the methane and converts it electricity which in turn can help power the farm.

1 Like

You need to catch it when they are out in the field. Some sort of gas nappy.

**_[quote=“TreatyStones, post:13, topic:24114, full:true”]
I’ve developed a device that is fitted to cattle sheds. It sucks in the methane and converts it electricity which in turn can help power the farm.
[/quote]

A kind if shit stirrer?

The problem is getting worse you fat beef eating fuck. What have the Oirish government don’t to counteract this since 1995 and what have you don’t to change your habits?

I knew this would rattle a few of the muldoons but I thought you might engage in some introspection. alas I was wrong

1 Like

Introspection is indeed the answer. I believe most studies into it work on some sort of supplement that neutralises the gasses at source. The way a human might take some Alka seltzer or a peppermint tea to sort a dickie tummy.

1 Like

I eat sustainable seafood 4 times a week and beef maybe once a week, often less. I can guarantee that is less than your big burger munching fat head.

What is sustainable seafood may I ask?

1 Like