Tipperary GAA 2019

Current intermediate is in reality junior level

Yes it is but I don’t think the name matters. There’s lots of clubs in Tipp and if the name of senior or intermediate or even junior A keeps clubs happy then who cares really?

32 clubs calling themselves senior. Senior status should be earned.

Nenagh
Drom
Kiladangan
Kilruane

1 Like

Borris-Ileigh will beat Drom I reckon

What is the breakdown of clubs in tipperary in senior / junior / inter . Tipp clubs have an appalling record in Munster junior and inter club championships

It’s had an awful effect on the Inter-County team.

2 Likes

There is more to hurling than the inter county team . FWIW I think tipperary have underachieved over last quarter century . It is a huge county with a massive tradition . The big towns have underachieved too .

We’ve about 8/9 intermediate clubs.

The reality of it is the Munster/Leinster club Championship is played off in the muck and shit in November/December.
That said, Sarsfields and Toome before them were good teams and should’ve done better outside the county.
Club Championships in counties have turned into complete shit shows.
One round of the Tipp Championship was played in April and then parked up until the end of August.
The Intermediate reps would be the 33rd rated club in the county, junior reps further diluted, I do think the current re-structuring will be good for the competativeness of the county championships in Tipperary, whether that manifests itself outside the county remains to be seen.

How many clubs are there in total in Tipp i.e. not teams competing but actual clubs?

71, I think.

No semi final in 5 years now for Loughmore and just made the last 8 twice in that period.

For a once in a lifetime generation, it’s a poor return recently. They would have won an awful lot more if they punctured those football’s.

2 Likes

That’s a fair number , mind you my benchmark is Kilkenny ( who are not all Ireland hurling champions) . We have 45 , I think - with 12 & 12 for senior and intermediate respectively. I think it has helped KK manage and cycle talent through to inter county quite effectively, the whole system in general being more concise.
71 is significantly greater than 45 but that wouldn’t be population reflective either, Tipp is a lot bigger than KK but I doubt it has a 60 % greater population.

They will in their fuck

1 Like

Loughmore have very little strength in depth compared to most other top Tipp clubs. Clonoulty brought on Tom Butler and Sean Maher there today. Loughmore don’t have lads like that to bring on.

John McGrath isn’t as good as Noel for them either when he needs to be at his best really in those tight games

You have alot of clubs where football would be nr 1, Moyle Rovers, Clonmel Commercials, Cahir, Ardfinnan, Aherlow, Ballyporeen, Fethard, Arravale Rovers, Galtee Rovers.
Large areas of South and West Tipp are football first.

John McGrath is the 5th highest scorer from play in championship so far with 4-08, Loughmore have plenty of talent, they do suffer being a dual club.

Yeah that’s probably the leveller within the numbers, KK clubs as a whole would pay lip service to Football. Many clubs wouldn’t even participate in football, my own included. TBF the population doesn’t allow for it.

Not saying they should be winning county finals every second year but you would expect them to get a bit further most years. In the last 4 years they have been knocked out by Drom, Borrisileigh, Nenagh and now Clonoulty.

They were very very good between 2012 - 2014 and should arguably have got stronger with Brian McGrath and Connolly coming through as well as John McGrath, John Meagher etc all maturing in their mid 20s but it hasn’t really worked out like that.