ballintaggert,crohane and garrynoe
they brought honour to slieveardagh hills
on many’s a GAELIC FIELD
ballingarry i have loved from long ago

1 Like

Decko49 fighing the good fight in the comment section

1 Like

Good while since I was in there
Went on an almighty tear starting out in Borrisokane one August Bank Holiday weekend 16 years or so ago. Stopped into that tiny place in Carney I think for a nice few afternoon sups

The frolics

1 Like

I went to Galway on a Saturday, rolled back to Limerick on a Tuesday or Wednesday. Good times.

That place in Carney is a gift, no phone signal whatsoever, uninterrupted conversation with Arthur. That’s my kind of Bank Holiday. Lackens is another black spot for phone coverage and Kennedy’s in Killeen is the same. You may as well leave the phone on the kitchen table as you walk out the door of house as bring it to those places. Good pints of porter in all 3 places and no shortage of characters either.

1 Like

No reception in Garrykennedy either. A grand spot to while away a summers day and night.

I beg to differ, Ciss Ryan’s while a fine spot with a grand pint does have reception. An awful pity that and the fact that it’s in the parish of Port. They’re the only two things going against it.

Larkins had shag all reception when I was down there in the summer.

Tis a pity Careys in Toor closed this year. Not a hope you’d get mobile reception there.

Guinness and Carling on tap. That’s it.

Reminds me of pub down home. Just 4 taps in the house. Guinness, carling, hot and cold.

1 Like

The amount of old time country pubs that closed was a shame, Seanins in Latteragh, Matt the Barracks up near kilcommon, Hennessy’s in Boherlahen. These places were full of characters and a small bit of Ireland died with these premises

1 Like

What have you against the Portruvians? I know that can be a bit loud and wild and obnoxious but you know, :musical_score:happy are we together :musical_score:

To be fair, Port people are the finest once you take them out of that environment but Christ they’re stone mad once they pass Newtown, it’s like a zombie entering the twilight zone once they pass Barry’s

We rounded up a group to head up to Careys a few years ago on a Friday night. Aside from one of the sons running the bar and old Mrs Carey who’s in her eighties and was sitting down watching the Late Late, there wasn’t a single other person in there. We probably spent 250ish quid there that night and I’d say that was their busiest night all year.

That’s just the reality of things now. There’s 4 pubs within a 2/3 mile radius of the home place. I can sometimes find myself around there on Mondays. I’d kill for a decent little pub to tip into around 12 in day as I’d down tools for the day, yrs ago you’d have a few to pick from with a few characters inside to keep you company, now there’s not one decent pub with characters of those ilk.

I wouldn’t be so sure that it has hot

3 Likes