Tipperary GAA 2021

Pretty much every club/parish in the Cashel/Emly diocese goes by a double barrelled name.

E.g. Holycross/Ballycahill, Loughmore/Castleiney, Drom/Inch, Clonoulty/Rossmore, Gortnahoe/Glengoole etc. etc.

Im not sure why to be honest. Clubs/parishes in the Killaloe diocese for the most part are a single name, Burgess, Kildangan, Toomevara, Portroe etc.

And ironically enough, apart from the addendum King Cormac’s, Cashel and Emly are single-name clubs…

There’s double barrelled parish names all over the place

‘Eire Óg Annacarty Donohill’ is just taking the piss though.

A lot of clubs in Tipp have “addendums” (Not really sure if there is a proper word for it? Moniker? They’re not really nicknames) Éire Ógs, Sarsfields, Kickhams, King Cormacs, Swans, Kenyons, Roverseses etc.

Not sure if they’re an outlier that way, Limerick wouldn’t half as many - usually instead the club has a title that doesn’t include the name of the place.

Edit: “Suffix”. That’s the word I was looking for.

A lot of them clubs would have been combined in the 1930s or 40s. Eire Og, Kickhams and Clonoulty/Rossmore all had split teams before the one club per parish became common place then.

Lahorna De Wets was a great name for a club.

2 Likes

Nenagh part of the county?

1 Like

Kiladangan/ Kilruane

Ah right, Lahorna rang a bell as Ardcroney area to me

Ardcroney is Kilruane isn’t it?

It’s right in the middle of Puckuane, Kilruane & Borrisokane country alright.

Dunno what way it’s affiliated club wise tbh.

It is.

There’s a handball club called Lahorna still there to this day on the Nenagh-Borrisokane road

2 Likes

Yes it is. Awful cunt of a speed trap in there.

2 Likes

FAO of @caulifloweredneanderthal
Yer PRO has been compromised

:grimacing::grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

Rockvale?

Aye. Rockvale is the area around the graveyard. I know very little about the women’s football but the club was set up a couple of years ago

1 Like

There was an amalgamation with Ballinahinch in the camogie. I’m not sure if this is more of that or not.

Loughmore giving Killenaule a fare hammering. Loughmore are obviously a top class team but Killenaule should be better than that

Mick Dempsey formally of Brian Cody’s Kilkenny running the sideline for Loughmore these days.