Tipperary GAA 2023

That clown Cullen with an input of course

I doubt the PRO would have much input on fixing prices for games.

The Chairman, Treasurer and Secretary would be in charge of that I’d have thought.

The crowd standing on the bank behind the goals really adds to the spectacle.

The ideal club venue will always have at least 2 ‘banks’ and a stand with seating at both sides.

Is Nenagh far from Thurles?

Bones of 25 miles on a terrible road

The new Thurles Sarsfields pitch should have huge potential to build a ground capable of fielding big games. They will be a while paying for it though.

Loads of parking with the race course also.

As peddlers said, parking in early all rural clubs is the problem. Cashel could an option like Templemore but it’s an awful pitch with the wind blowing straight towards the McDonald’s end.

Holycross has a good set up for a dry day with parking provided in surrounding fields but the field is too short; same problem with Boherlahan. I’d say there’s barely 5 metres between the 2 65s in each. I don’t like Templetuohy as the stand is too far back from the pitch; Littleton has a good set up now but the stand is too small and lacks a bank cc @peddlerscross.

Sars new pitch will never catch on. Completely soulless with no trees for miles around to give shelter leading to a cutting wind at all times. Even the Sars lads themselves hate it.

I’m throwing my weight behind Templemore becoming the ‘boutique venue’ of choice for County Championship games going forward.

1 Like

Templemore isn’t really boutique though. Back in the early 00s there seemed to be an annual quarter final match there between Loughmore and Toomevara, and in the times before when just divisional finalists qualified for County Quarter finals it was a regular host of those ties.

1 Like

We need to reinvigorate it though.

Wasn’t that epic 2002 County Semi Final between Toome and Mulinahone played there when Mulinahone stunned the 4 in a row chasing Greyhounds by a point 1-17 to 1-16?

It’s an awful looking field. Completely exposed.

There are some horror examples of clubs building new pitches out of town in exposed locations that everyone hates.

Roanmore in Waterford being a classic of this genre - they’ve completely given up on their new field. I think its now just an overgrown meadow. De La Salle did something similar and I dont think its worked out for them either.

The Thurles one seems to be right up there

I was down in Clonakilty last week; their pitch at one time was slap bang in the middle of the town.

They sold that to developers and now have a modern facility out the road to Skibereen about 2 miles outside the town. Now it looks well and has all the facilities you’d need but also looks a bit soulless

All important games are played at a neutral venue. Teams that invest in their facilities rarely get the benefit of it

Fermoy recently knocked their covered stand and cut alll the trees on the same side and replaced it with an adjacent pitch so you now only have one bank/ viewing area with no cover on a pitch perched on top of hill.A great old venue ruined.

Could they not just plant a whole host of trees around it to block the wind, that and a stand at the near side with a big bank/stand on the other.

Holycross made a big mistake they didn’t extend the length of their pitch when they expanded.

Boherlahen have no such excuse as they have lots of space behind the far goals. In both venues parking is a problem for county quarters.

Templetuohy is my least favourite venue in the mid. Terrible location.

Mallow done something similar but there seems to be a great atmosphere at club games played there. The Buff Egan often visits for Newtown/Kanturk/Charleville v any of the city teams.

Portlaoise’s new set up another costly vanity project.

Most clubs now who build new pitches even on their own grounds by buying extra land find it very hard to keep the wind at bay.

They got royally caught there.

I haven’t been at that pitch since we lost a county* semi final there against Moycarkey back in 1991

*U10 big ball.