Tipperary GAA 2023

How is Billy Mccarthy going these days? Any chance of getting back in Tipp fold.

Tipperary is still in mourning truth be told.

3 Likes

He was very effective yesterday and seems to be moving ok but has a sort of big black knee bandage/support that wouldnā€™t fill you with much confidence that the knee is anywhere near 100%.

Heā€™d be 28 next year so might get another go if he wants to but youā€™d wonder if the knee would survive a Liam Cahill Boot Camp Winter.

I think he might be happy just to be back enjoying his hurling again with Thurles.

3 Likes

We must protect Billy at all costs.

Iā€™d say if he has any sense, heā€™d stay away. Awful run he had. I donā€™t think the body would withstand a full season of hurling (club and intercounty). A real pity. He was one of the few bright sparks from 2018.

1 Like

A real throwback. Pat Fox-esque

Heā€™d have been the ideal man to take on those big Limerick bullies around the middle of the field.

Heā€™ll have to get the call . Serious scores tbf, he didnā€™t look for a few of them

Tis like watching a young Picky Maher.

Cahill dropped him at u20 level because of his lack of work rate/athleticism.
Iā€™d doubt heā€™d bring him in at this juncture.

Unreal hands and club hurler.

1 Like

Lovely scores tbf but you donā€™t / wonā€™t get those chances at IC.

With proper application of every facet he has far more talent than many of the current forward panel players but I donā€™t see that working with the gaffer who favours speed and application.

Heā€™s probably the closest thing to a Bubbles in terms of having wrists of gold, but when Cahill didnā€™t fancy the original and the best, its hard to see how heā€™d go with Woods.

Another win for Holycross in the u19 A semi final v a good St Maryā€™s team. They are coming like a train.

Thereā€™s about 10 of these lads who have the potential to be excellent club players in coming years including the scoring machine that is Robbie Ryan.

1 Like

They are coming fast alright, they just need to be careful that they dont already think 'theyā€™ve made it" now and its only a matter of time before the breakthrough.

The element of surprise at Senior wont be there anymore and for all the good things they did at the weekend, they were very lucky to be there after losing to Templederry and they only won 1 game out of 6 in normal time this year between Mid/County Championship.

The work still needs to go in but if they keep the heads theyll be there at the business end of things for the next decade.

1 Like

They have tradition which should count for a lot :slight_smile:

1 Like

It does. If they could win one ā€˜against the headā€™ in the next year or two, they could win 3 or 4.

The problem is the longer the wait goes, the more doubts creep in, you become more ā€˜exposedā€™ in Horse Racing terms and Barrett will be nearly finished.

My beloved Newmarket in Clare had all the tradition and underage success in the world in the mid 2000ā€™s but by the time they actually made the breakthrough in 2012, most of their players had gone past it.

Had they won a Championship ā€˜against the headā€™ in 2006 theyā€™d have won 6 or 7.

Dublin and Limerickā€™s recent success began with ā€˜against the headā€™ wins in 2011 and 2018.

1 Like

I only heard during the commentary the other day that they have only 4 county titles.

It would be Box Office if this fledgling forward was a son of Big Rob Ryan.

I heard poor Seanie Peters felt the full force of The Talibanā€™s wrath at full time yesterday @peddlerscross