Tipperary GAA 2024

It was the night of a match wasn’t it?

Cashel edged out Silvermines by one point in the 2020 County Junior semi final (played June 2021) on the Saturday. The incident happened on the Sunday night I’m pretty sure.

I dont know what Upperchurch were playing but there was a full round of County Hurling league fixtures the same weekend.

It was a messy enough period with pubs kind of half open/half closed at the time after Covid.

There were a few Clonoulty lads involved too from what I recall?

Correct.

The divisional championships begun tonight with the North championship quarter final between Borris & Kiladangan. A Wednesday night fixture was an unusual way to get it started, even a Thursday night might be more appealing.

Kiladangan were easy winners with a 0-25 to 1-16 win over a depleted Borris.

Kiladangan will definitely be at the business end of the county championship again this year, they have 20 very good club players without an obvious star. Willie Connors was excellent at wing back.

Borris have a lot of work to do to get up to speed. JD Devaney showed up well.

4 Likes

Thanks for that report. Who is over the respective teams?

John O’Meara is still over Kiladangan. James Gould/Fr. Stapleton over Borris.

Kiladangan will take all the beating again this year. Their consistency is serious. They’ve hardly lost 5 games in North/County Championship in about 5 years.

1 Like

Midweek divisional championship games are no new thing. There was much furore in 2004 when a Mid Hurling Championship game featuring Loughmore was played the week the Tipperary footballers were due to play a Munster championship game.

Another instance was Noel McGrath’s debut at senior club championship hurling for Loughmore vs Drom in 2007, which was played on a June Wednesday night in front of a packed stand in Templemore.

2 Likes

Standalone mid-week games often get much bigger crowds as at weekends theres too many other matches/things on.

That midweek play off bonanza back in 2018 in Templetuohy was absolutely box office.

A nice write up on the North Championship.

1 Like

It was on clubber. I threw on the second half, no Brendan Maher, Jerry Kelly or that young lad McCormack. I think they gave Tadgh Gallagher MOTM.

Clubber have Kilruane vs Templederry tomorrow for anyone who’s interested.

1 Like

Played tonight at Borris request? They’ve a wedding at the weekend, Dan McCormack family involvement i think

Kiladangan down Sean Hayes also.

I only watched the first half but Kiladangan were only in 3rd gear, they’re a serious outfit.

I’m sure BDE is still pulling strings in the background

Templederry beat Kilruane by 2-26 to 1-19 in a minor surprise in the second North quarter final.

Sean Ryan was the star of the show for Tderry as Kilruane had no answer to his pace, touch and finishing. Id say he finished with roughly 2-2 from play and numerous assists.
It wasnt just him as Adrian Ryan was brilliant in an unfamiliar half back position, others to perform for Kenyons were Gar Ryan, Eanna Murray and Liam McGutcheon.
Many of these lads are 15+ years on the road with Templederry and it would be unreal if they could get a North title. They play with such style.

Kilruane drove a heap of wides in the first half when they were doing most of the hurling. They were down a few bodies but you’d be worried about what was on display tonight, Kian O Kelly and Kieran Cahill were probably their best.

Stephen Gleeson was his usual self on commentary.

3 Likes

Tough start for Coach Sully.

The North senior hurling championship is as tough a coaching environment as there is.

2 Likes

Coach Sully was a random enough appointment for Kilruane.

They wouldn’t be short on coaching options internally.

2 Likes

A mini suprise in the west premier intermediate champ this evening with sean treacys defeating eire og annacarty 4-17 to 3-13.

Up north - I see Toomevara have been drawn to face Nenagh in the senior semi - the nenagh/toome rivalry is gone luke warm in recent years - we are well overdue a 30 man brawl.

A calamitous own goal in this game I see. There was a couple of those on the club hurling circuit over the weekend. Both attempted hand passes back to the keeper.