Tom Humphries on the Grand Slam

That’s how it reads to me. There was no boxing club near me but I still took pride in Barry McGuigan when I was a kid. He’s playing up this disenfranchisement stuff, where I come from there is a rugby club five miles away and half a dozen senior clubs in Limerick city, only two of which ever really had any element of old school tie about them, Garryowen and Bohs. People go to rugby schools, soccer schools or GAA schools, or some that are neither this nor that, I don’t see the big deal.

The calcutta cup is always a magnificent occasion SS*. Great to see England celbrating the heritage of another colony. Would it not be a fantastic idea if they called Ireland England the bobby sands cup? ;);):wink:

One of the best rugby clubs in the country near you as well SS*, never paid a penny to any player, and I think its fair to say you wouldnt see too many sheepskin jackets down in Kilballyowen either

[quote=“HBV*”]it is a fact that he has a chip on his shoulder, he’s been bleeting on like this for years.
Someone needs to explain to the man the phrase ‘each to their own’.

you could pick just about any sport and do a hatchet job on it and its followers like he has done if you wanted to. Nothing is perfect, everything does not appeal to everyone.
Personally im suspect of 20stone men going on and on and on about underage camogie but each to their own.

he has become a lazy writer, maybe he’s looking for a bit of a wind up, a pity he was good once.[/quote]

He’s been on at this shite for years but has now just found a different outlet for it.
I’d say the editor told Tom to fcuk off this week.
He’s so mealy mouthed about rugby its hilarious- I think his trued bitterness comes from not being picked regularly enough on some U19s side and not fitting in with the rugger boys in UCD- I’d say there’s a lot of folks Tom wouldn’t fit in with, rugby, soccer or GAA

WBY

Think he makes some valid points, particularly in relation to Ireland/England game. You’d wonder about his timing though.
Rugbee by no means my no 1 sport but I’ll be shouting my head for the fookers in a bit.

Top article by Humphries.

[quote=“W.B. Yeats”]He’s been on at this shite for years but has now just found a different outlet for it.
I’d say the editor told Tom to fcuk off this week.
He’s so mealy mouthed about rugby its hilarious- I think his trued bitterness comes from not being picked regularly enough on some U19s side and not fitting in with the rugger boys in UCD- I’d say there’s a lot of folks Tom wouldn’t fit in with, rugby, soccer or GAA

WBY[/quote]

The fact that most peoples retorts can’t rise above the level of personal insults says it all. He dislikes rugby and rugby people entirely on their own terms for who they are and what they represent and not through the conduit of any notion of personal grievance. Rugby is the game of the toffery and as a class they are braying, self-important, arrogant people. Dara O Briain makes the exact same point, is he feeding off personal grievance as well? I will except in exceptional circumstances whole-heartedly support any Irish team but I won’t shoot down a man for throwing a bucket of truth into a sea of delusion and hyperbole.

3 minutes after this post you called Jeremy Guscott a sneery English cunt :wink:

and tell us how you know exactly that he has no personal grievance? all i see in your post is hyperbole fueled by your opinion, the same as the rest of us.

using that unfunny cunt to try make a point ?

ffs:rolleyes:

Tom Humphries’ and Dara O’Briain’s simplistic caricature of modern rugby is truly laughable. Humphries needs to move on from that sort of Protestant, toff and class rhetoric. He’s writing articles on rugby from 50 years ago. It just doesn’t tally with the modern game in my experience.

[quote=“HBV*”]3 minutes after this post you called Jeremy Guscott a sneery English cunt :wink:

and tell us how you know exactly that he has no personal grievance? all i see in your post is hyperbole fueled by your opinion, the same as the rest of us.[/quote]

That was a cunt of the year thread was it not? You’re the one alleging personal grievance, not me, so go ahead and counter all his arguments and show that’s all his articles boil down to. Show that rugby isn’t a minority sport. Show that it isn’t the sport of the private school class. Show that it doesn’t have a miniscule impact on the majority of Irish communities and that it doesn’t barely exist as an organised sport in most of the country. Off with you. Those are the points he makes. Dispute them.

Tom Humphryes you fat beardy cunt you took one hell of a beating

not to mention dara o’briain, the unfunny fat cunt

Roysh Tom, you loike totally got ripped by Drico and Rog and Kearno and all the goys. Fock off you bogball loving former.

Thought Kearney had a poor game though.

OMFG, that’s so, loike, unfunny, sorcha

who is disputing the facts? im not, facts are facts and but i said you can rip any sport apart in that format if you wished. but why would you do that if you have no grievance?

i think humps has a personal grievance. i think this because he keeps writing the same article with the same tired old cliches, over and over and over and over.

now, tell me again i think i missed it, why do you think its not personal for tom? you seemed fairly sure

[quote=“HBV*”]who is disputing the facts? im not, facts are facts and but i said you can rip any sport apart in that format if you wished. but why would you do that if you have no grievance?

i think humps has a personal grievance. i think this because he keeps writing the same article with the same tired old cliches, over and over and over and over.

now, tell me again i think i missed it, why do you think its not personal for tom? you seemed fairly sure[/quote]

HBV-
hasn’t he written in this in one of his balanced critiques of rugby? Wasn’t it Suttonians that he had trouble getting a game for? And then those horrible UCD rugby types wouldn’t be friends with him?

[quote=“W.B. Yeats”]HBV-
hasn’t he written in this in one of his balanced critiques of rugby? Wasn’t it Suttonians that he had trouble getting a game for? And then those horrible UCD rugby types wouldn’t be friends with him?[/quote]

ye, he turned up for it as a fresher in ucd and was last man picked or something and took the hump(h)

pathetic carry on
take about a 25 year grudge, even a woman doesnt hold a grudge that long

[quote=“HBV*”]who is disputing the facts? im not, facts are facts and but i said you can rip any sport apart in that format if you wished. but why would you do that if you have no grievance?

now, tell me again i think i missed it, why do you think its not personal for tom? you seemed fairly sure[/quote]

They’re not cliches. They are facts as you’ve correctly identified. For all the hype over rugby in this country over the last ten years the IRFU has made no effort to spread the game beyond it’s traditional havens. There are hurling people in Donegal and Monaghan who have made a bigger effort than that organisation to promote their game with laughable resources by comparison. The IRFU have a fleet of professional players and yet how many schools have been visited? How many summer camps have been set up? How would you think this looks to someone like Humphreys trying to promote Gaa in Dublin city with no professional marketing or backing? It looks like an arrogant clique who are happy to keep their game for themselves and their private schools. With all then success and publicity the sport has enjoyed, any real intent to become a sport of the ordinary people would be reflected in clubs cropping up all over the country but that is simply not the case.