Tom Humphries thread

Of course.

But it would be less hypocritical if some of those same people weren’t simultaneously defending George Hook’s comments.

You are saying my position is that someone charged with rape for example should be allowed argue, sure she was looking for it, as mitigation.

Nope.

I’m saying there’s nothing wrong with telling people to be careful in the real world.

But go on back to arguing in cusacks favour.

There’s nothing wrong with telling people to be careful.

When you conflate that with a victim having “personal responsibility” for a crime, you have a problem.

That’s what George Hook did and its what you have done in your previous posts here this morning.

Because only the perpetrator of a crime such as rape is responsible.

Which one?

People have a responsibility to themselves. Going back to a stranger’s room while loaded on alcohol is a big risk.

They have a personal responsibility towards their own safety.

Hmmmm. The ones where you conflate being careful with “personal responsibility”?

Fire them up there, the ones you are saying where i make an argument for mitigating a rapists responsibility

People have a right to do whatever the fuck they want within the law and not be held in any way “personally responsible” should they be unfortunate enough to be the victim of a crime.

Strange how you’re still focussing on the “personal responsibility” of the victim, not the perpetrator, here.

1 Like

There you go mate.

So they have a right to put themselves in grave danger?

What? They tell people to be careful. From that, you think i am blaming people for being raped. You are a fucking jokeshop.

3 Likes

How can victims of crime be “responsible for their own safety” without the blame for the crime being mitigated and apportioned to the victim?

You think somebody having consensual sex is “putting themselves in grave danger”?

That’s a very “interesting” view.

No I think going back to a stranger’s house, who you’ve just met, under the influence of alcohol is reckless behaviour - particularly for a woman who would be as physically capable of defending herself.

So what you’re saying is that women should assume they will be raped in such a situation, yes?

I never had you down as an actual real life version of a fictional, parody feminist.

No but it shows incredible weakness on Cusack and Walshes part.

Its weak not to stand up for what you velieve is wrong just because an old friend has now broken your (or societal) rules.

Hooks, while misguided, are nowhere near as damaging.

Personal responsibility is a fucking humongous problem in modern society. And Ireland is even worse, compounded by the lack of responsibikity in for instance the public sector.

So thats a conversation worth having

1 Like

From a perusal of the thread, there’ll be no conversations worth having here anyway.

2 Likes

Nothing is your fault apparently… Walk up an alley full of junkies in the middle of the night waving 50 Euro notes and it’s not your fault that you got robbed and stabbed.

3 Likes

There’ll be no conversations at all, now that you’ve decided to get involved.

Have you managed to haul the Ciaran Whelans up the stairs yet?