Tommy Tiernan

He set up the whole of his family with no-show 6 figure jobs out of Frampton’s purses justifying it to himself because ‘nobody would know who Frampton was if it wasn’t for Barry McGuigan.’

Some emails McGuigan wanted inadmissible were allowed in and he quickly settled, Frampton was vindicated and delighted with the settlement.

Took a completely shot George Groves to a title. Currently working miracles with world Champion Laurence Okolie. He’s a brilliant physical trainer as well as boxing.

1 Like

No offense mate but I don’t think you’ve a clue about what you’re talking about. He’s trained a who’s who of talent in the UK and they all say he is excellent. Carl was his first elite level talent but Barry was the lead trainer in Carl’s first professional fights.

Guided Ryan Burnett to a world title as well before he had to retire with injury, he is good really, probably the best in the UK

1 Like

George groves?

1 Like

Josh Taylor as well of course, but that’s all gone now

I thought Mcguigans interview was badly edited.

Tiernan has his own show on rte this last year or so I’ve noticed.
The longest days I’m alive that’s a show I will never watch.

The pretend IRA lads don’t like him.

Someone mentioned he robbed Barney Eastwood :rofl:

Eastwood was one of the biggest crooks that ever walked on this island

Anything BMG learned about robbing came from Eastwood

2 Likes

Barry’s fights between 84-86 were some of the best Irish sporting moments of the 80s, nobody ever approached that level of enthusiasm since, Steve Collins didn’t come close

8 Likes

What was done to him in the Cruz fight in Vegas was wrong. My first sporting clothes was a clones cyclone jumper that I wore everywhere

The Jimmy Magee commentary was iconic … I can remember the one where mcguigan was beginning to melt on the way to the ring in the heat v Steve Cruz…

Groves was a fine fighter and was proven before SMG trained him - he came back and won a diminished title . He won a title when he was a good way behind his peak years

SMG was never good enough to train a fighter of CF quality

On that note, I’d say Wayne McCullagh came closest to emulating Barry. His fights were absolutely magnificent occasions and he fought them all, the best around. If he had any sleeping powder he would have been one of the greatest of all time

Establishment lackeys like @Enrique won’t like this attack on their boy Tubs and The Late Late…

Maybe for real boxing fans, I didn’t notice that nearly as much. The Collins fights were a big deal as well but McGuigans were like national holidays

Yeah I remember lads dancing on tables in Downes’s pub the night McGuigan beat Eusebio Pedroza in Loftus Road. It was very close to the national fervour that erupted over Italia 90. Boxing engendered nothing like that in the national consciousness since.

4 Likes

Televised sport was different then

2 Likes

Monkeys brewery :blush:where’ do they get the names from- looks a fine body