Tommy Tiernan

I used to love the man, went to see him a few times a year even though it was the same show! I loved ‘cracked’ but thats as far as my love for Tommy went! Now though Im completly gone off em, Sick the way he was rippin the piss out of handicapped people and people who are left disbled after road accidents. Many people dont give a shit and see it funny, fine i know hes a comedian but personally I think hes going too far. The people who find it funny are generally those who havnt experienced someone close to them who are handicapped and disabled.However I heard a woman on Joe Duffy last week saying she has no problem with him making fun of disabled people even though her son is a vegetable as a result of a road accident…how she can say that i dont no. If that was my son I know id be offended big time. Have no time for the man anymore.

1 Like

Some choice words there Tiger.

I don’t find the guy particularly funny anymore. I don’t have a problem with comedians slagging off particular topics but I take issue with Tiernan basing so much of every set around travellers - it’s cheap laughs and it appeals to the lowest common denominator.

Didn’t see the set in question recently but heard some of the furore about it. Again I wouldn’t really have a problem with Tiernan poking fun at disabled people as long as it’s not just isolating a particular section of people and having a go at them for 90 minutes or whatever.

1 Like

I’d be the same as you Tiger, I thought he was very funny when he came on the scene first, he had some very funny observational sketches, I was at his show a couple of times and they were pretty much his DVD copies. I’ve never been into the whole insulting type of humour so I don’t find him funny anymore

liked tommy when he first came on the scene but now it is the same shit rehashed…his mentality seems to be if i am ignorant and shout loud enough and use the word fuck enough times people will laugh…

I can’t imagine a much worse profession than being a stand up comic. This isn’t an “ah sure they have it so hard” post. It’s a “they are idiots to be involved in the first place” post.
To me it’s just telling the same story to people over and over again.
I’d go insane.

Like I’ve been away from home for extended periods a few times. When I come back I hate having to tell different people i.e. friends/family/co-workers/nemeses etc… the same story over and over. I’d like to get everyone I know in a room and tell them as much as I could remember just once and that would be it.

Being a stand up comic must be as close as you get to living out Groundhog day.

By the way, why the fuck would you go to multiple shows if you know he’s just gonna do the same jokes?

In fairness his delivery is brilliant, And he’s got stage presence.

He needs new material. Thats all.

Maybe Art and him should get together.

I agree with puke…I dont see why he shouts the roof off and constantly says fuck. Funny at first but now its just gettin on my nerves!

He is crap

Shouting & acting mad isnt funny

Telling jokes about immigrants ,people with mobility ,sensory or congnitive impairments & the travelling community went out of fashion in the 70s

Pretty much sums up my feelings on him Puke, except that I’ve always hated him, didn’t think he was any good at the start either, though maybe he was marginally better. Shouting and swearing isn’t intrinsically funny, comedy for me should be about wit and timing. There are better comedians on here with witty repostes than Tommy is with the spoken word.

i would agree…you wouldn’t hear the likes of paul merton or jimmy carr roaring like junior b mentors in their shows…

Tiernan rant a pitiful bid to prop up a shaky career

If he hadn’t plumped for mocking Jews, he’d have come up with some other look-at-me antic, writes DAVID ADAMS

THE FOLLOWING is just some of what Tommy Tiernan had to say about Jews and the Holocaust at the Electric Picnic music festival earlier this month, as reported last weekend by the Sunday Tribune: “But these Jews, these fking Jew cts come up to me. Fking Christ-killing bastards. Fking six million? I would have got 10 or 12 million out of that. No fking problem! Fk them. Two at a time, they would have gone. Hold hands, get in there. Leave us your teeth and your glasses.”

Despite his obnoxious rant, I’m not convinced that Tiernan is anti-Semitic, for one simple reason: people like him are usually far too preoccupied with themselves to be bothered obsessing about anyone else.

Soon after he got wind of the Tribune article, you can be certain Tiernan was reading and re-reading it to check that his every utterance was included, calculating his chances of getting even more mileage out of it in the days ahead, knowing only too well the more offensive the remarks, the longer their media shelf life. That was the whole point of his sickening outburst.

The truth is Tommy Tiernan is just another on-the-slide, attention-seeking celebrity. If he hadn’t plumped for mocking Jews, he’d have come up with some other look-at-me antic.

He might have gone for the sympathy vote, like so many others of his ilk, and claimed that he has suffered all his life from dyslexia, or was abused as a child, or is battling some terrible addiction, without a thought for how it might detract from the plight of genuine sufferers. Just like he couldn’t have cared less about the hurt caused to others by his Holocaust rant.

To the celebrity, self is everything. Perhaps he is saving the “poor me” tactic for the future, or has used it in the past. It hardly matters. The point is this is what Z-list celebrities normally do when their novelty value begins to wear thin. With no talent to fall back on, they have to choose between becoming ever more pitiful/outrageous or simply disappearing from public view, and most go for the former. Why should we expect anything different from Tiernan? It isn’t as though he has much in the way of natural talent. Take away the far-too-contrived “shock” element from his routine, and there’s nothing left – at least nothing funny or insightful.

Doubtless Tiernan kids himself that he’s “edgy” and “courageous” and is tackling taboo subjects. But really, how can having a go at children with Down syndrome or making snide comments about missing child, Madeleine McCann, both of which he has done previously, be considered remotely edgy or courageous? Offensive, yes. But self-serving offensiveness shouldn’t be confused with humour. Anyone familiar with the outstanding comic genius of Richard Pryor or the early work of Billy Connolly will appreciate the difference.

Actually, Tiernan strikes me as dated, and, for all his bluster, as someone who always takes care to play it safe. Swearing like a trooper might have seemed daring 30 years ago; now it’s just seen as juvenile, or, as in this case, a smokescreen to cover lack of talent.

As for courage. Well, he pokes fun at Catholic priests, but then who doesn’t nowadays. He has also taken a bit of a sideswipe at Protestants in the past, and has now launched a vile attack on Jews, but how courageous is it to snipe at easy-target, minuscule religious minorities?

No, for Tiernan, location is everything. If he really wanted to be edgy and courageous, he’d be airing his thoughts on Jews and the Holocaust in, say, Tel Aviv or Haifa. If he didn’t want to travel so far, he could always do a couple of turns on the Falls Road in Belfast, and make disparaging comments about Bobby Sands and the other hunger strikers. To give balance to his Northern tour, maybe a gig or two on the Shankill Road as well, and lay into the people who were killed in the Shankill bomb. But there’s no chance of it happening. Tommy wants attention, but not that badly.

None of this is to say that Tiernan’s outburst wasn’t harmful, or should have been ignored. Regardless of what he really thinks about Jews, his words can only be of encouragement to countless actual anti-Semites. The Sunday Tribune was right to bring them to our notice, and to suggest in its editorial that the Garda should seriously consider whether Tiernan was guilty of breaching incitement to hatred legislation. If he was, celebrity should be no shield against the law.

Thanks to the Tribune article, as well, those who in the future may be tempted to employ Tiernan, or to go to any of his shows, can make their decision in full knowledge of his hateful anti-Jewish rant. Hopefully, via the internet, his Jewish fellow citizens and others will ensure that this includes prospective employers and audience members in the US.

We should give Tommy Tiernan all the media and public attention he so clearly craves. He may learn that too much of what you want can be a bad thing.

Link

1 Like

Allegedly Tiernan is a manic depressive…I wouldn’t be so quick to slaughter him…probably can’t stop himself when he takes off.

You’re probably right. You’d imagine he has no business being in the public eye then. He’s no more a racist than Michael Richards is a white supremacist, but he is a shit comedian. And it’s worse he’s getting.

The first DVD, with the “What has happened to Declan” and the Donkey ,was very good. Downhill after that though.

George Hook went to town on him yesterday, live form the ploughing match.

He didn’t take the ‘anti-semetic propaganda’ line did he?

tiernan is an utter bollix.

Looking back at some of Tiernan’s early stuff, I must say that I thought he was excellent.

I then saw him live and thought he was awful. Then I saw him being interviewed giving out about yer man Andrew Dice Clay not being a true comedian as he is too vulgar.

Then I realised that Tiernan was a joker, and not in a good way.

I cannot say if he is racist or not, becaue I don’t know him and I haven’t heard enough of his material.

But he does go for shock-n-awe alright and he definitely went waaaay across a line with the Holocaust “jokes”.

[quote=“cluaindiuic”]
Like I’ve been away from home for extended periods a few times. When I come back I hate having to tell different people i.e. friends/family/co-workers/nemeses etc… the same story over and over.[/quote]

I was actually very impressed that nobody seemed to give a fook as to what I’d been up to, when I came back from my trip away.

Tommy Tiernan stole my taxi in Eyre Square a few years ago. He is a cunt.