Top 10 Dublin Pubs

Sledgehammer wrote:

You’re an aggressive man Flano

With a sensitive soul when it comes to debates about football.

This is true.

:slight_smile:

Im a complex person. :angry:

I did go through a phase of being a bit militant like yourself and saying I wouldn’t pay, although I did this because I thought it was a makey up job and not tipping might abolish it somehow.

It is a makey up job, why don’t we put them to work carrying bags for old ladies in Supermarkets or something. I tip a waiter for providing me with a meal service or a taxi driver for getting me home, but “I” do not tip somebody because “I” held my penis and “I” took a hit and miss. In my opinion they’d be better off on the dole!

In my opinion theyd be better off in a gas chamber.

Just recalling a discussion I had with Bandage the other week on the respective merits of barmen/women in Ireland and Scotland.

In Glasgow it doesn’t matter how busy it gets the barman will only take one order at a time. That could be a Guinness, it could be a bottle from a fridge, it could be a pitcher that takes 3 minutes to fill but no matter what they don’t move on to the next person until they’re good and ready. Really fecking frustrating sometimes. Being Irish you expect a bit more prompt service and a few times I’ve shouted out or (even spoken out) my order when the barman is in front of me pulling a pint of lager and they stare back at you like you’re a freak. “I’m getting that other guy a drink, why is that guy trying to give me an order too? Can’t he see I’m already doing one?”

Gives you an extra appreciation for the bar staff in Ireland. Most of them have cracking memories, especaially on big rounds when they’re more likely to remember the order than you are. They never take a break, work really fast, and generally make the whole drinking thing a very smooth process.

One recent exception was South William last weekend where they have a “witty” sign up that you’re not supposed to say please. I said “please” at the end of my order and the barman pointed to the sign and made me say it again without a please. So I said “2 pints of Kronenbourg” and a minute later the fool returned with 3 bottles of Krombacher. I wasn’t arsed correcting him so I just accepted what he gave me (another Irish trait I suppose). Crap barman though.

Classic sign like that in Dorans;

“No alcoholic consomtion or loitering allowed in these premises, Garda will be notified”

BenShermin wrote:

Classic sign like that in Dorans;

“No alcoholic consomtion or loitering allowed in these premises, Garda will be notified”

Seriously? As many of you know I have often frequented this establishment and I can honestly say Ive never seen this sign.

Ben stop with the incorrect spelling!!!:blush:

Ben stop with the incorrect spelling!!!

Jag on Flanjo.

The sign is located to the left of the upstairs bar on the wall.

Bump.

This is the list (and thread) I was talking about.

What’s the verdict on Lotts? It’s near the quays.

Had a few nice pints there the weekend before last. Thought it was grand.

1 Like

A pub to have a drink in for an hour by yourself if the missus is shopping on the northside

3 Likes

I like it . There a couple of times

1 Like

Doesn’t it have a ridiculously modern part alongside a more traditional, original part?

Yeah, there’s a bigger part that does food. The little bar at the front is great for a few day pints. Nice place to watch a few hours pass by with a few nice pints.

Raw gym beside it closed in last year or so. Presume the area is “earmarked for development”.

Press Up group have a new place about to open across the road. An Indian restaurant. Doolalley.

That’s an awful pity.
Great pub.

They’ve been having trouble with noise complaints from the new apartments that went up behind it. Even though it’s been there longer than them. A pity it was somewhere really different. Had some great sundays in the beer garden there

Didn’t have ye down as hipsters