Top 10 Dublin Pubs

Oh the Conrad, what a majestical jacks they have there. The cubicles are the size of the whole bathroom in Iskanders. I’ll have to visit that place again. Good times, good times.

Bowes is indeed a nice little boozer. Only problem is its tendency to be overpopulated with know-it-all pissed up journos from across the road who believe they’re in some front line fight for justice as opposed to just pissing on their own shoes.

Thought the Irish Times moved to Tara Street!

Your right about Ryan’s, it’s a quality spot. H. Matthews on the Luas line is also a great little boozer along with Liam Walshes on Parkgate Street.

Sledgehammer wrote:

I wash my hands and take a towel as is my entitlement. I do this without paying. The lads are providing a service with the chewing gum and eau de tiolette and what have you; I don’t think they should be paid for allowing you to wash your hands, and strangely enough I don’t think they expect to be.

I had this discussion in Doyles the other night. I think a euro should cover all your jacks needs for the evening. The only thing is to make sure he remembers your face. A big I love foreigners grin should do the trick as you drop your europe loudly onto the platter. Even if the sly fuck has taken all other coins but a 2e out to shame you into making him rich.

On an aside. Does anybody know when this phenomenon came into being with the black lads being in the jacks?

A Romanian lad works in the jacks in D2 on Harcourt Street. I imagine he beat off stiff competition from the whole African continent to get the role but it’s proof, if any was needed, that there’s not a monopoly associated with the job. The EU Competition Authority can rest easy…for now.

I think a euro should cover all your jacks needs for the evening

Pissing is a basic right I won’t pay ANY money for it, I hopped the 30c barrier in Heuston Station last night, only to be confronted by a toilet cleaner who asked me what I was doing? My answer, I’m not paying 30c for a piss. He just walked away!

Scrubbers! I wouldnt even have dignified him with a response.

If you find the presence of a jovial coloured chap “overpowering” then a Dublin pub really isn’t the place for you. :grin:

I think they started up around 2000/2001 or so, I was in first year in college then, and we noticed it when they began appearing in the Palace.

It’s a well known fact, now that Ball Ox is gone, that I’m the resident racist on here.:grin:

I always thought the “black man” in the jacks was a phenomenon in the UK and Ireland, what a surprise I recieved when I found one in the jacks of a club in Memphis.

I gargle with a media crowd (not the Times) around Bowe’s and Mulligans, I find them alright and some are good mates.

Anyone remember Derek from Bachelor’s Walk? He works in Bowe’s!!! :grin:

Flano wrote:

It’s a well known fact, now that Ball Ox is gone, that I’m the resident racist on here.:grin:

I always thought the “black man” in the jacks was a phenomenon in the UK and Ireland, what a surprise I recieved when I found one in the jacks of a club in Memphis.

Were you going across America looking for them or something?! ‘I found one in Memphis…’

The Palace was also where I first noticed the phenomenon. Autumn of 1999, 18 years old, first year in college and I’d never seen anything like it in Mooney’s or The Crown Bar in Wexford. We were lucky to have even bog roll or soap at home and then a nice polite African gentlemen offering hand towels, soap, deoderant and aftershave. How fresh and exciting it all was.

Sledgehammer wrote:

Anyone remember Derek from Bachelor’s Walk? He works in Bowe’s!!! :grin:

Seriously? Legend. Im going to pop in there more often now.

Bandage wrote:

Flano wrote:

[quote]It’s a well known fact, now that Ball Ox is gone, that I’m the resident racist on here.:grin:

Were you going across America looking for them or something?! ‘I found one in Memphis…’

The Palace was also where I first noticed the phenomenon. Autumn of 1999, 18 years old, first year in college and I’d never seen anything like it in Mooney’s or The Crown Bar in Wexford. We were lucky to have even bog roll or soap at home and then a nice polite African gentlemen offering hand towels, soap, deoderant and aftershave. How fresh and exciting it all was.[/quote]

How cynical we’ve all become. :angry:

Has anyone visited the Sackville lounge recently, I’ve been meaning to pop my head in there at some stage.

Have any venues for the TFK halloween party been looked at yet?

Which one was Derek in Bachelor’s Walk? I’m remember the fat, jovial guy (Michael), the waster guy (Barry) and the annoyingly voiced one that does all the voiceovers on the radio (Raymuuuuunnnd).

Derek was the guy fom the second series that worked in the taxi place with Michael. He lent Michael money and then became almost like a stalker. So many different scenes to describe. One time he showed up while Michael and the missus were in having a quiet night on the couch. Derek showed up with 7 cans(I think) of Dutch gold and invited himself in.

BenShermin wrote:

I think a euro should cover all your jacks needs for the evening

Pissing is a basic right I won’t pay ANY money for it, I hopped the 30c barrier in Heuston Station last night, only to be confronted by a toilet cleaner who asked me what I was doing? My answer, I’m not paying 30c for a piss. He just walked away!

Pissing is not so much a right as a function. I pay the lads money 'cos I think it’s a shitty job and I’ve worked for tips myself in the past. I did go through a phase of being a bit militant like yourself and saying I wouldn’t pay, although I did this because I thought it was a makey up job and not tipping might abolish it somehow. The Celtic tiger rolled on remorselessly and I felt it was time to cough up again as my actions clearly didn’t have the desired effect. On a more serious note, I find they(jack’s attendants in general) give you too much tissue/bogroll to dry your hands. This is a waste of our finite resources
and will probably spell the end of civilisation in the long run.

Ah yes, I remember Derek well now. He was a great lad.

Juhniallio wrote:

BenShermin wrote:

[quote]I think a euro should cover all your jacks needs for the evening

Pissing is not so much a right as a function. I pay the lads money 'cos I think it’s a shitty job and I’ve worked for tips myself in the past. I did go through a phase of being a bit militant like yourself and saying I wouldn’t pay, although I did this because I thought it was a makey up job and not tipping might abolish it somehow. The Celtic tiger rolled on remorselessly and I felt it was time to cough up again as my actions clearly didn’t have the desired effect. On a more serious note, I find they(jack’s attendants in general) give you too much tissue/bogroll to dry your hands. This is a waste of our finite resources
and will probably spell the end of civilisation in the long run.[/quote]

Nice pun.

I dont pay them.
I’m beginning to think the reason I like the Oak so much is because there’s no black man annoying me in the jacks. I remember one time one of them said to me “Alright mate” and in keeping with the bachelors walk theme I said “Mate, I’m not your mate”

You’re an aggressive man Flano