Top 10 Irish Restaurants (that spidey visited in a week )

Heat was a novelty in the 80s

2 Likes

Well put!

So was pasta, I guess.

Maybe we’ll look back on them as something akin to a selection box at Christmas. I’ve recently enjoyed a few, including Lignum and West at The Twelve, and really enjoyed them. Nicely paced, well-priced, and exceptionally tasty.

I think there was a lad here on his confirmation day went out for dinner and got spaghetti Bolognese with three sides of veg.

1 Like

My recollection of 80s cuisine is excessive heat. Add food to pot / pan, and boil / roast hard.

1 Like

Except veg. Boil til soft and smelly.

Indeed. Not averse to one myself. I like the variety.

The main thing I recall about cooking in the 1970s and '80s was that nearly everything was overcooked – especially meat, needless to add. Would say that expertly cooked fish and meat, whether at home or eating out, is the single biggest change in the last 20 or 30 years.

1 Like

Exactly. Boil hard, Roundy Mooney! Boil hard, hard, hard!

1 Like

He was in luck, I suppose.

I recall an aunt home from England – probably in 1978 or 1979 – taking a few of us down to Waterford for a meal – probably confirmation related – and the excitement we were meant to feel about eating Chicken Maryland. Even then, I was much happier with trout or rabbit.

1 Like

First time I was ever in a restaurant was the great Southern after my confirmation. I had chicken Maryland and can still remember it was horrible.

Mine was a curry burger, including the bun in Wimpy’s, Galway.

2 Likes

Yours was nicer.

Yes, we certainly enjoyed them. It was on the corner there on eglington street, circa 1980.

I remember it.
I used go to pat’s on Cross street.

The mother and sister were in Maguires spot a few weeks ago.

You’d be paying 120 for the wine, as a couple.

They must not give you much of it per tasting?

Was there an exam after the study of shellfish?

5 Likes

I don’t know tbh.

Ill see you and ill raise you jay rayner at le cinq

Pal of mine was served this in Liath during the week. Pigeon allegedly.

1 Like