Top 10 Irish Restaurants (that spidey visited in a week )

Ravenous thread clear proof of that. Animals.

The revelation that the Cliff House is in the second quartile of Michelin-starred restaurants in Ireland when it comes to price changes everything.

3 Likes

In fairness to Katy she’s actually very even minded usually. She wouldn’t say it was shite if it wasn’t. She’dnormally not go out of her way to be too critical. Anyway the lad who wrote the letter sounds like a sour cunt.

1 Like

His memoir is a great read. RIP

1 Like

Loved him on moncrief. Very sad when he died.

1 Like

A true gourmand

Years and years ago, I did a little bit of writing for a small local paper. I asked the editor about doing a few restaurant reviews. His problem was that any bad review of a restaurant would lose a potential advertiser down the line.

To be honest, I’m fairly easily pleased when it comes to dining and was only looking for a few free dinners, so all the reviews probably would have been full of unnecessary compliments. Journalistic integrity my arse.

5 Likes

AA Gill was, and is on the Good Team.

2 Likes

That’s a fairly insipid defence. They needed that lad in the Whjte Moose

Ah here AAGill was an outstanding writer. His review of Rio Ferdinand’s Rosso was so incisive a review of a swathe of Manchester nightlife, that Manchester city council complained, and it’s almost impossible to find on the tinternet.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/a-city-that-drinks-first-and-eats-901275

This sets the idea.

Here it is.
Not sure if an internet whizz could post it up.
It’s well worth it.

I enjoyed reading it but Gill for all his writing talent and wit always comes across as an unmerciful snob and a bit of a nasty cunt with it.

4 Likes

That reads like the requirements section for the job of TFK Poster

6 Likes

His sweeping remarks caused consternation among leading figures in Manchester’s restaurant scene, who pointed to Podium, at The Hilton, the Second Floor restaurant at Harvey Nichol’s and The River Restaurant at The Lowry as examples of fine dining in the city.

Second floor restaurant at Harvey Nicol’s :grinning:

You should read the article. It captured the Manchester of the day exquisitely, hence the consternation.

“heated raspberry jam”

1 Like

I got a laugh at that one too. That and the idea of spreading out a shredded head of red cabbage on the kitchen table.

1 Like

Fagan is quite possibly correct when he says that we will, 30 years thence, regard today’s tasting menus as daft – and maybe we will. But it is hard to believe that those menus will ever equate to heated jam as a sauce!