Top 10 Traditional Pubs in Ireland

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]
For an all day session I would suggest that you either stay around Grafton Street and hit McDaids, Kehoes and Nearys or head down Baggot Street into O’Donoghues, Doheny and Nesbitts etc.

Both areas have a good old buzz around them and the best perving potential.[/quote]

Other good spots for Guinness include The Long Hall, Grogans and Slatterys in Rathmines

the stags head belongs nowhere on that list.
It long ago bent over and took the fitzgerald cock up its hole.
avoid it like the aids.

cobbestone is a cracking pub in the city and the music is decent too.

i was in Galway 2 weeks ago and spent an hour with me bird in neachtain’s.
she wanted to know why the pub was full of crusty middle class english people smoking rollies and talking about their aromatheraphy/whatever course they were on!!
i lived in galway for 6 months many moons ago and it is, in my opinion the single most overated place in europe. prague is the 2nd.

Guinness is good where there are few women.
unfortunatley, since the early 80’s women are allowed into bars whereas before they had to make do with a mineral or a sweet martini in the lounge while the blokes stood around drinking porter and generally scratching their hole a lot in the bars. heady days !

Y’see Fran, this is what I came in to post, what makes a traditional Irish pub?

I keep recalling the Tommy Tiernan sketch of the boys in the put in the West who throw on the Aran sweaters and pull out the Shillelaghs when they spot a tourist coming.

This whole Trad Irish pub things would rot yer bollix.

Slatts is a decent spot, can take a while to crack the regulars thing though.

The Long Hall is a cunt of a spot imo.

Cant believe McDonalds in Enniscorthy didnt get a mention. The only pub in Wexford where you can get a pint of McArdles and a side of ham.

[quote=“myboyblue”]Slatts is a decent spot, can take a while to crack the regulars thing though.

The Long Hall is a cunt of a spot imo.[/quote]

If you get a stool at the bar you’re in business. If not go somewhere else

The only time I was ever in The Long Hall I was drinking crazy bombers (Jaeger bomber with vodka added to the Red Bull) after being on a pub crawl which included a visit to The George.

But I remember thinking this was my type of pub.

The Long Hall now - not The George.

slatterys is a decent spot alright. another pub I’d mentioned here before which I was fond of in Dublin was Ryans just on Camden St/wexford st. Nice pub with great pints of guinness. Met Ken Doherty in there a good few times, seemed to be well in with the locals so obviously frequented it a bit.

agree with flano on Stags head. It went so trad it got popular. strange how some places go, they get busy for no real reason other than word of mouth, and then they are fooked.

Question?

Waht exactly is a “traditional pub”…

its like a celebrity…

A few of my mates were living in Stoneybatter and it was always decent for midweek pints of porter…

ah no but all jokes aside…what exactly classes a pub as a traditional pub…it it that it has an open fire or a snug or a load of auld lads telling yarns, maybe an old worldy feel to it…or is it just a load of bollocks so that the posh crowd and tourists will go in…

there is a pub in New York called McSorleys, its near St marks on 4th and 7th (I think). Its what I’d call a traditional pub. No music. No TV. No cash register other than a box in the corner. No fancy shit. Saw dust on the ground. A couple of big cats wandering around. Fire in the corner. 2 beers, a dark on or a light one. some place!

but I’d say the trad pubs in magazines and the like are a load of bollix for tourists purposes.

Got it.

Wasn’t there some other poll of Dublin Pubs once that had the Grand Central Hotel bar on George’s Street at number 1 and the bloody Vaults at number 3!!!

[quote=“Gman”]there is a pub in New York called McSorleys, its near St marks on 4th and 7th (I think). Its what I’d call a traditional pub. No music. No TV. No cash register other than a box in the corner. No fancy shit. Saw dust on the ground. A couple of big cats wandering around. Fire in the corner. 2 beers, a dark on or a light one. some place!

.[/quote]

thats what i would class as a traditional pub…you would find then in rural country villages and would have none of the mod-con’s…you would be lucky if there was a toilet bowl in them…the kegs would be directly under the tap and it would be slighty dark and dingy(but not dirty)

Ah it’s good for porter and the music is decent but the lads playing it are a bunch of wankers

[quote=“Gman”]there is a pub in New York called McSorleys, its near St marks on 4th and 7th (I think). Its what I’d call a traditional pub. No music. No TV. No cash register other than a box in the corner. No fancy shit. Saw dust on the ground. A couple of big cats wandering around. Fire in the corner. 2 beers, a dark on or a light one. some place!
[/quote]

That is some cunt of a place, been in it a few times. Had a row with some ignorant kilkenny cunt behind the bar the first time… second time, we were haveing a bitof banter, sing song started and we were told to shut it and leave (nothing rowdy, couple of very good trad singers in company)…

And, the beer is piss.

[quote=“HangBlaa”]
And, the beer is piss.[/quote]

That goes for New York in general.

Pints of McArdles. That’s savage. Pity about the location.

The Palace Bar on Fleet St is worth a shout, some of the best Guinness I’ve had lately.

What about Peadar Kearney’s? :slight_smile: