Top 4 Greatest Bogballers of All Time who played with their socks pulled up

Following on from the Pat Spillane - Rural Fuckwit thread, post your selections for 3 greatest gaelic footballers of all time here.

My 3 are as follows:-

• Mick O’Connell - I’ve been told by Monaghan men that played against him he was the best they ever saw and he was the only one back then who could score from 50 yards out so he has to be the best. Also, the spirit of the Gael.
  • Matt Connor - by far the best player on the team that beat the (second) best team of all time. (Although he missed a point blanc range free just before the end) He made complete shit out of Dublin in his time. Offaly football never recovered from his accident, which tells it’s own story.
  • Sean Cavanagh - I don’t like him but he was the best of the modern era. A controversial choice, I appreciate.

Lads who got close:

• Pat Spillane - would be in most people’s top 3 but not mine. The first player with modern fitness levels. Loses points for being a middle class jackeen from Templenoe and not a true Gael living on Valencia Island.
  • Mike Sheehy - maybe the most skillful of all time
  • Jack O’Shea - they say he was the first modern midfielder. He got results and he just seems cool.
  • Kevin Heffernan - possibly the most influential player of all time in terms of tactical impact
  • Kevin Murray - John McGahern wanted his autograph so he must have been good.
  • Mickey Linden - I never really saw this lad but he’s supposed to have been good
  • Bernard Brogan - don’t laugh at his peak I thought he just looked a division better than everyone else and he played in the (possibly second) best team of all time so he must have been alright
  • Jim Hannify - one of the best corner forwards of all time. Could have won an AI.
  • Conor McManus - bias here but good stats and skills.
  • probably one of those Cavan cunts from the 1950s.
1 Like

I’ll be intrigued to hear @Cicero_Dandi logical choices for this.

Peter The Great - The GOAT
Anthony Tohill - the all encompassing dominant midfielder
Mickey Linden - the complete forward

The Ulster sides of the 90s and early to mid 00s pushed the game to an extra level.

3 Likes

Of what I have seen:

• Maurice Fitzgerald
  • Peter Canavan
  • Stephen Cluxton
1 Like

Cluxton is a good shout, I never thought of him. A lot better than Morgan anyway.

Matty Forde
Matty Forde
Matty Forde

Obviously.

1 Like

Johnjoe Reilly
Matty Forde
Nudie Hughes

Ah declan browne was a better footballer than matty forde guys

Of what ive seen

Peter Canavan
Padraig Joyce
Maurice Fitzgerald

1 Like

Kieran Duff
Seamus Darby
Mickey Quinn

I’m not a big football man so memory is fairly shite so in the modern era.

Diarmuid Connolly
Lee Keegan
Conor McManus

Seamus Moynihan makes my list. Could play brilliantly in any defensive position.
Cananvan for me is the best I’ve ever seen, that was a long time prior to Tyrone winning all Ireland’s btw.
Jack O Shea was the king when I was a kid. There was nobody like him.

I’ve picked from all three positions to be safe. Honorable mentions to Martin O Connell, Gooch and Maurice

2 Likes

John Quane
Cluxton
Trevor Giles

2 Likes

Larry Tompkins
Mattie Forde
Peter Canavan

1 Like

:grin:

2 Likes

John Quane
John Galvin
Maurice Fitz

2 Likes

No room for John Galvin?

His inability to kick a football more than 20 yards did for him mate… other than that, he was in

No Ian Ryan?

1 Like

He was a great man to catch a high ball.

https://youtu.be/9lJkVYRYGqc

1 Like

A cracking player by all accounts but a bit before my time.

His namesake, Seamus, is the best Leitrim footballer I have seen, easily.