Tour De France 2012

Very impressive from Cav today. Proved he can win without a train.

When you read Larryduff’s preview of the stages there you can see this year’s tour is so different than those previous. I think the tour organisers saw last year that stages like today - essentially flat but with an uphill finish - provided some unpredictability and excitement, with Big Guns going for handful of seconds.

But i think they have weighted the tour too much in favour of the time trialists with two monsters - imo one was enough. And the biggest let down for me is the mountain top finishes. There are tough stages there but the first thing you look at when you see the route is the mountain top finishes. Historically this is where the tour is really decided.

Maybe they are hoping that the mountain climbers will be forced to attack earlier (on the mountain stages without a mountain top finish) and create a more exciting stage as a whole rather than all the favourites waiting together for the last mountain?

That’s possibly their thinking but I agree that they’ve got the balance wrong. Time trials create big gaps and having two lengthy ones really reduces the importance of the rest of the stages. I find mountainous stages that end after a descent or end on the flat to be really frustrating. They’re often an anti-climax and they protect guys who want to conserve energy by riding together in small groups.

With over 100km of time trials though likes of Schleck (not too many pure climbers who are also gc contenders actually) will have to attack often and early if he is to get decent placing. While I agree that descents can be anti climatic I think if Nibali is up there it could be different this year. He is easily the best descender among GC contenders and I can see him attacking on couple of descents like he has done in the Giro previously.

I do think balance is wrong though. I suspect this is with 100th edition of next year in mind where we will see more epic moutain stages and fewer time trial km’s.

I agree as well, too many km’s of TT. It is a joke that there is no HC climb to finish a stage. Some of the stages could be exciting especially if Nibali or Evans attack on some of the descents.

This years Tour is a bit bland. I think the plan is to have a real killer next year.

+1. Sometimes the routes that look epic on paper end up being very disappointing and the shite ones up being great so hope for this tour yet. Sure beats most of the dross on tv this summer anyway!

Certainly Larry. I always enjoy the flat stages as well. I despise mountain stages with a descent finish though.

Today’s suicide break: Five riders have gone clear after 6km: Morkov (Saxo Bank), Bernaudeau (Europcar), Grivko (Astana), Moreno (Euskaltel) and Minard (AG2R). They have already buolt a lead of 15 seconds and are pulling away.

Happy birthday Nico, 28 today.

:slight_smile:

Morkov has been in everything so far. Saxo bank have to do something I suppose, as they won’t get much out of the Tour. Sorenson for the KOM, thats about it. I hope we see attacks from 20 km out.

Sean Yates came across very well in ‘Rough Ride’ but everytime I see him being interviewed or as a panelist on Eurosport he never impresses me. He seems to think Cavendish has a chance today. I think he is wrong.

Cavendish has no chance, he will be well gone out the back, by the time they get to the last climb.

Cav won’t do a tap today. He will be picking his battles carefully. I always thought Sean Yates was a total knob myself.

Cavendish acting the dickhead again at the intermediate sprint. He always has something to say, a cunt of a man.

Movistar attacking the muppets by driving peloton on after each crash. Too much waiting around after crashes in previous years but this is taking the piss a bit

I agree Larry no need of it at all. I see Roche in the first group can’t see Martin though.

Think the Irish boys are safely in the first peloton. Gilbert is somewhere in between the pelotons.

Any sign of Brajkovic Scrunchie? Sanchez taking risk there with car

Outrageous stuff from Sanchez. Poor information on who is in that second group really. BMC driving it on suggests they’re leaving Gilbert behind and quite possibly preparing for an Evans attack. The next 20km are gonna be pure gold