Tour De France 2012

Cavendish all the way here

I’ll admit I know nothing about cycling. So can someone answer me the following…

Wiggins, genuinely clean or a suspected doper??

[quote=“Phil Leotardo, post: 628259”]I’ll admit I know nothing about cycling. So can someone answer me the following…

Wiggins, genuinely clean or a suspected doper??[/quote]

I’d say he is clean. He has come from a different background from most of the pros, track racing and time trials. Sky seem to have taken preparation to a new level. But unfortunately you will always wonder.

Tour done and dusted. Not a classic but always interesting. Two long TTs was too much and Wiggins killed the race stone dead after the first one. Don’t think Froome will win the tour, i think he is a gimp. Next year Sir Bradley will have a different challenge with Contador and Schleck A back. The centenary Tour is next year, route will be announced in October. Hopefully they kept this years bland to have a classic next year. Expect to see the return of Luz Ardiden, Mont Ventoux and Alpe d’huez.

I’ve always wondered about this last day tradition where the yellow jersey gets chaperoned to the finish. At what point would it be considered fair game for someone to challenge? Like if the second placed rider was 30 seconds behind the yellow jersey after the penultimate stage, would it be considered open season for him to try to win? Has it ever happened?

Never happened Fitzy. Would be virtually impossible for a GC rider to get away really. Last day is made for sprinters so their teams would chase attack down as well as other teams who were going for GC. It would also be frowned upon by virtually the entire peloton. Last day is taking at a very easy pace with bubbly and the likes. A GC rider going for GC win on last day would be akin to someone engaging in a slanderous campaign on adjudicator thread. Just wouldn’t be on.

Article by Kimmage on $ky and Wiggins.

Think it was 1989 but they finished the Tour with a TT. Greg Le Monde snatched it on the last day from Lauren Fineon (spl) and the French went nuts over it. Think that was the first and last time it was competitive on the last day.

[quote=“Locke, post: 628265”]

Think it was 1989 but they finished the Tour with a TT. Greg Le Monde snatched it on the last day from Lauren Fineon (spl) and the French went nuts over it. Think that was the first and last time it was competitive on the last day.[/quote]

I doubt very much the French went nuts over it. The fact it was a tt meant it was completely up for grabs. Think lemond only won by 8 seconds with his u shaped handlebars. Was the same year Kelly either won or was in contention for 3 or 4 jerseys

The french never warmed to Fignon and subsequently weren’t pissed off when LeMond pipped him in that tt. But the final stage around Paris is a wonderful spectacle, hopefully they never put a tt on the final stage again.

Kelly won the green jersey and the sprint jersey. He was part of the ridiculously strong PDM team that had 4 guys finish in the top 10 in GC.

Martin Earley won the stage into Pau that year.

Like father like son!

Think it was 1989 but they finished the Tour with a TT. Greg Le Monde snatched it on the last day from Lauren Fineon (spl) and the French went nuts over it. Think that was the first and last time it was competitive on the last day.[/quote]

They didn’t go nuts over it. They said it was the greatest tour ever.

Think that was the first and last time it was competitive on the last day.[/quote]

I am open to correction on this but i think there was a TT on the last day in 1968 as well when Janssen beat Van Springel. The second smallest winning margin ever.

[quote=“larryduff, post: 628264”]Article by Kimmage on $ky and Wiggins.

Yeah read that thanks Larry. I wonder does Kimmage walk around with a cloud permanently over his head? Interesting that the Mail published the article yesterday.

Kimmage is some Dickhead, stop reading what he says a long time ago. I’d imagine everyone is tired of the usual shit he spouts at this . He has a serious chip on his shoulder, just because he was a crap cyclist himself. I’m surprised he still gets media coverage.

Bullshit, a well written article with some very valid questions

It’s the same tripe he comes out with all the time. It’s tiresome stuff. He is asking the same questions for the last 10 years now.

Why is it tripe? If Kimmage, Walsh and others didn’t ask these questions, then maybe the sport would be slower to clean up it’s act

Has cycling been clean for the past 10 years?

I think Kimmage and Walsh have done fantastic things for cycling and have played their part in its transformation. Kimmage still asks questions and that is healthy but equally he doesn’t tell the story of the radical change there has been with as much passion as someone like him should. The story of Hesjedal winning the Guro is a classic example. Unthinkable five years ago. Also Walsh in particular can be overly fawning towards other sports and fail to ask the hard questions there. Kimmage is guilty of this to a lesser extent too. Remember he interviewed Warne and yet not no one reference was made to his drug past. Same when he interviewed Nadal and suspicions around him.