Trap - Stay or Go

Lot of shite talk on this thread. What’s new. Trap won’t go anywhere. At 73 and after that farce who else will take him. And the FAI can’t afford to sack him, not with Delaney getting the first 400k out of the pot anyway. As for giving up the next qualifying campaign to blood players, well that won’t happen either. The FAI are flat broke and need to fill every single seat for the foreseeable future.

Anyway Delaney will have twigged that the fans are a bunch of witless goms just as happy, possibly even more happy, with gutless surrender than success. Cos like it proves that they are even better fans to be able to tolerate,bear and even glory in abject failure.

Persisting with the line that the support was celebrating and enjoying being hammered is rather silly.

Pity thought that it appears to be true. It was shameful carry on.

The end of the Spain game was for me an expression of support and gratitude to a set of players for what they had done in the last two and even four years to get us to Poland as they reached the end of the road in the campaign. I thought the attempt to do it again at the end of the Italy game was a rather sad effort to demonstrate that we are The Best Fans in The World.

+1

I broadly agree with that but I felt the Spain game wasn’t just an expression of support to the players - it was a show of defiance and pride. Obviously people who don’t go to many games may be unfamiliar with fans being vocal irrespective of the result - whether it may be perceived pointless/juvenile or whatever in some quarters, it was a case of losing the “battle” on the pitch but not in the stands. I wasn’t at the Italy game but I tend to agree with your point on it. The Spain game was of the moment and I don’t think any of us was singing thinking “fuck, this could go viral on You Tube” but I thought the Italy match may have been a case of trying too hard all right.

I definitely thought it was, and it was the sense I got around from Ireland fans between the games. “If the team were half as good as the fans we’d win the tournament”, etc. I stayed singing right til the end at the Spain game, but left on the final whistle after the Italy game.

But getting back to Fagan’s point/barb, it’s a win/win for the FAI in that instance. If we qualify again, we’ll probably 50%/60% fill the stadium like last time and get the financial rewards for reaching Brazil. But if we enjoy losing and embracing failure so much then we should sell out the stadium which would go a long way to make up for not qualifying.

Defiance and pride. Defiance against what ? If the team had shown a bit of defiance maybe there would have been some call for it. And pride in a 4-0 scundering that could as easily have been 8-0. Come off it.

Sounded to me more like a bunch of lame drunks singing at closing time kidding themselves that they were having a great time. And then trying to make something big out of it by using words like defiance and pride.

Exactly. It doesn’t even matter if we have a manager or not because lads will just love to go along and sing to show defiance and pride and point out that the people who are sitting at home laughing at the good of it just don’t understand the atmosphere.

You’re not separating being Irish and taking pride in that from the actual match itself. Which is fine.

You’re right, I’m not.

It was a soccer tournament, not an ethnicity festival.

Nice line there Fagan. Pity your argument is complete shite, you miserable cunt.

It was a nice line and my argument is spot on too.

Well spotted.

Your “only sing when you’re winning” argument is very weak.

Ask him about the discrimination gay teachers suffer in Ireland.

Do you think he will make those changes though. Hard to see it.

Has done a good job with what he has but I’m not sure he’s the man to take it forward.

Go- in my very uneducated opinion

Go. The players have stopped listening to him, they’re confused by his selections and how he wants to play. The old guard has to be retired, we need to forget about 2014 and concentrate on 2016. Build a new team and a new way of playing.

The biggest problem is convincing Trap§ to go and who replaces him. The obvious answer to both questions I would have thought is Marco Tardelli.

Like Dan, I see these two things as being slightly incompatible.

Also, I think it’s a bit silly to say there’s no one to replace him. There must be a heap of managers out of work. Speaking English isn’t even a pre-requisite anymore either. With that in mind I would nominate Kenny Dalglish.