Travelling to Dooblin this weekend

The Sun have an offer with Irish rail for half price train tickets booked online. Todays code is SUN1003

Save yerselves a few bob for :clap::smiley: :thumbsup:

Are these valid at all times or only certain trains?

All times single fair. Bird got hers for 14.50 :thumbsup:

:smiley:

Why not save money on train ticket and just live in Dublin in the first place.
Itā€™s not a bad place.
You will need to wear shoes alot of the time though which may be tough on the country folk.
Also, they never ā€œturn offā€ the orange lights on the streets for ā€œbedtimeā€ so donā€™t bother asking.

Yours etc,
GSH.

ā‚¬14.50 is a special offer for a single fare on Irish Rail?

Christ Iā€™m flying to Leeds return for ā‚¬12 next week.

[quote=ā€œSHANNONSIDER**ā€]14.50 is a special offer for a single fare on Irish Rail?

Christ Iā€™m flying to Leeds return for 12 next week.[/quote]

Itā€™s usually 56 return for the train SS

Iā€™m sure it is, youā€™d wonder why train travel is so expensive though.

[quote=ā€œSHANNONSIDER**ā€]14.50 is a special offer for a single fare on Irish Rail?

Christ Iā€™m flying to Leeds return for 12 next week.[/quote]

Dont talk to me about it SS. Was in there one day, went to the ticket office 55 euro she goes. So off I went to the internet thing in the station. Put in my 2 bought my ticket online and went back to the same one again with my confirmation number so she could print it out. Saved me 27 or something ridiculous like that

Population served is fairly small and as a result so is revenue. Capital costs and maintenance are still high though. I remember coming home from Leeds one Christmas and there being a train every fifteen minutes to Manchester Airport. Arrived in Heuston and had to wait four hours for a train to Galway. It was good to be home.

Itā€™s got to be the unions, Iā€™d say thereā€™s more union activity in Irish Rail than there was in the Gdansk shipyards of the 1980s.

British train travel isnā€™t cheap either though. I think I was quoted 85 return London to York midweek recently. That would get a man from Dublin to Wroclaw and back by air.

I remember hearing a great one in business studies years ago that the public transport workers in Ireland had 50 something unions while Germany had 8. Then the kicker thats not the German public transport workers thats all of Germany. 8 unions in the whole country. Thats why the Germans are efficent

Cheaper though.

You could conclude that the prevailing airline business model is making air travel is cheap perhaps? A model that rail canā€™t imitate. Doesnā€™t some Ben Elton novel start with an argument like this, and thereā€™s a fella down in the basement roaring about a return of the barges?

The 2pm Limerick to Dublin train last Saturday was 10 euro on the web. Not bad considering what you normally have to fork out

The Germans have works councils though. Try getting our landlord class to agree to those.

Tripe.

A train runs every 4 hrs to Galway and yet our ā€œcapital costs and maintenance are still highā€?

I donā€™t want to resort to slinging mud at the unions, but Iā€™d be far more inclined to blame current, rather than capital expenditure, for providing a rail service Bill Bryson would write about.

I would like to see comparative rates of pay from public transport workers in Ireland compared to other EU countries. Dublin Bus, Bus Eireann and Irish Rail have been posting big losses in recent years. It would be good to see the breakdown of expenditure.

You wonā€™t find it Runty, benchmarking forbids comparisons with other countries.

[quote=ā€œtreaty_exileā€]Tripe.

A train runs every 4 hrs to Galway and yet our ā€œcapital costs and maintenance are still highā€?

I donā€™t want to resort to slinging mud at the unions, but Iā€™d be far more inclined to blame current, rather than capital expenditure, for providing a rail service Bill Bryson would write about.[/quote]

Of course capital costs are still going to be high. Rail is extremely expensive, transit by rail needs 20,000 passengers per hour to compete with other modes. Ireland simply doesnā€™t have that populatuion density.