TV Rights, best avoided

Yes , great to see Amazon with its social responsibility ethos destroying Sky .

2 Likes

What big corp has social responsibility?

Exactly.

deary me

That was phrased badly - they all have social responsibility - but which one practices it is what I meant…

Might be one rights round too early for them but who knows, if Sky’s numbers continue to fall…

I haven’t read up on it but think they are just looking to stream matches initially… They have already got into media in a number of countries. Think they’ve got into German radio recently… He has bought into food, wants to wipe out delivery services and now he wants to control media — and he is all about space also.

Yeah maybe as a secondary broadcaster but Sky won’t pay the same then, especially as it gives them a foothold.

Now TV is Sky’s way out of this platform change but I think they’re too shortsighted to smooth the transition.

I’d never heard of Now TV and just checked it out there — the British market has been calling out for that for years… A little pricey still, but with more saturation you’d hope it comes down… TV viewing and how people want to watch shows ans sports have changed drastically - you’d imagine the likes of Sky would be ahead of the game but they seem to be way off.

It’s in Ireland now too, they launched it for the Lions. You can run it through the PS4 now as well. 30 euro for the sport. TBH this is still too high a price point. You can get all the music you want for 13 euro and a strong selection of entertainment from Netflix for even less. The price of sports has only become inflated because of monopolies and the perception that live sport will save over the air live tv.

Though some of the tech people I know say Sky’s biggest issue is that they don’t have the infastructure (bandwidth et cetera) to support only streaming. I have no idea what that means really and I’m wary of that line of thought, that would be reflected in their share price by now.

What’s really funny with Sky is how poor Sky Go is on a laptop. They’re using really out of date software for it.

It’s woeful … they changed it recently so it only works on internet explorer unless you gowl around with settings which i’m stone useless at… As I said, you’d imagine they’d be way out in front but I suppose they had it too good for too long.

I thought it was always like that. They use some real shit Silverlight package for it. Think it’s partly to do with security.

It’s shite that you can’t cast Sky Go onto the telly they way you can with Eirgo or whatever the eirsport app is called.

1 Like

They’re paranoid about people using other people’s subs which is understandable but short sighted.

Works well through a PS4 if you have a Sky Go Extra sub.

It’s a pain - I’m like a cunt watching a game on my phone… The Eir app is the business alright - I had the club games up last week and some college football later that night.

1 Like

It runs about 2 mins behind mobdro

2 Likes

If you have an android phone can you not cast it with screen mirrorong on telly with smart tv? I do that with mobdro

Not sky, no… Eir and Mob-dro yes.

1 Like

SKY have it wrapped up. You can choose to cast the entire screen of a laptop, but you only get visual, and not sound. Bastards.

1 Like