Twitter (Part 1)

Taking it off a junior cert syllabus isnā€™t cancelling it

The black parents and children asking that it not be part of the classroom for junior cert English are condescending to themselves and comparable with Nazis, according to this fucking eejit.

Itā€™s genuinely hard to see where you are supposed to go with stupid cunts like this.

1 Like

Youā€™ve gone off the deep end

Donā€™t engage with me on here. You asked for me to be banned before. You love a good banning.

According to that article its only in light of the George Floyd protests that that these books have been deemed unacceptable. So no one raised an issue with it before now. Right so. If the class is all white is it okay to read the book? Do teachers possibly have discretion whether or not to teach it. i think they do. Problem solved.

Its been years since I read Of mice and Men. Would the fact that the slow lad has to be put down not be more of a problem than any perceived racism which was a reflection of the time. It must be awful traumatic for lads with learning difficulties reading that book in class. Especially any named Lennie.

5 Likes

Authoritarians hate letting people exercise discretion.

I havenā€™t replied to you since because youā€™re a fucking creep, as well you know. As you were.

A lot of adolescent humour has to do with the breaking of taboos, usually taboos over sex and masturbation. This young black kid is unfortunate enough to share their class with an immature asshole laughing at the breaking of this taboo but the fundamental problem is that his/her classmate is an asshole and needs to be educated/improved. Thereā€™s an issue of bad teaching here, the teacher should have taken the kidā€™s head off when he saw him reacting to the N word with glee. Thatā€™s what my old English teacher would have done. That bad teaching will undermine any education in racism that the class undertakes in any other context. Avoiding TKAMB isnā€™t going to solve that black kidā€™s problems with his classmates.

The asshole white studentā€™s experience is very important here because he is the one that has to improve. I would argue that heā€™s never going to mature unless heā€™s given the opportunity to mature. Obviously opportunity doesnā€™t guarantee success but it gives some possibility for growth where as no opportunity for growth guarantees moral stagnation. Itā€™s not just a conversation about the black student feeling uncomfortable, itā€™s also a conversation about educating and improving the white student. I would argue that framing this discussion as being solely about the black studentā€™s discomfort with his asshole classmate would lead to a lack of action on the underlying causes for the situation and ultimately be very harmful.

@EstebanSexface, yes one if the lessons that TKAMB teaches is that life is shit, tough and unfair for many black people. Thatā€™s a very important lesson today, in fact many posters on here continue to reject it. It would be ironic and counter-productive if BLM led to the book that most famously advanced the BLM outlook being removed from the syllabus. It doesnt teach us that Atticus will save the black people, it teaches us that we should be gentlemen like Atticus and a gentleman is someone who doesnā€™t cheat black people.

@glasagusban , I think Iā€™ve been coherent in my responses, the personal tone of your posts has me wondering if this is really about Micheal Martin taking bribes and lying to the Tribunal.

1 Like

stage 7

The personal tone only has to do with how astounded I am by how fucking stupid your recent responses on this thread have been.

They merit being pointed out as such.

Sad to see lads in this day and age throw out words like ā€œmoronā€ repeatedly.

We need to educate not insult. Its a bad example theyā€™re setting.

2 Likes

I feel distressed here

I think everyone needs to relax. Take a step back.

They need to stop.

Collaborate.

And listen.

Better take reproduction out of junior cert science then. Just in case it fails the Esteban giggle test.

11 Likes

:smiley: :smiley:

Be the hokey :grin:

I think that perhaps there could be advice from the department on how to approach the N word sections. The teacher should have been more alert to the possibility if tension in the class during that section, reading that section out loud, or at least without closely monitoring the situation, was naive.

You said that the issue was the discomfort if the black student, I responded to that and you did not engage with what Iā€™d said and gave me a further personal attack but there you go.

History was removed off the JC syllabus a couple of years ago. Theyā€™ll be grand.

Fuck you To Kill a Mockingbird, this is all your fault!!!

Thatā€™s not giggling at a racial slur though is it? While theres someone in the room who still gets subjected to that racial slur

1 Like