Twitter (Part 1)

Black parents and children raised the issue saying the books caused difficulty for the children.

The TFK morons, you included, piled in to contradict that.

You get how stupid that response is in light of where the initial contention came from, donā€™t you? @artfoley is starting to realise how fucking stupid he looks but will be gearing up to dig in.

Seems like all of the issues in that article are the teacherā€™s fault, not the bookā€™s fault

youd also wonder how many of the complaints came from whiteys

Again, you presume to know best for black kids. How lucky they are to have you.

The original contention was that the book is problematic for some kids.

Your reaction, informed by your no relevant experience, is to contradict that.

Pause and think, is that a sound thought process or a moronic one?

Iā€™m just referencing whatā€™s in the article you posted? A teacher using the N word ā€œin gleeā€ is clearly the teacherā€™s fault

Incorrect. My reaction is to think that a book which teaches valuable lessons about the stupidity of racism is a good book to have on the syllabus.

Your reaction, informed by your no relevant experience, is to contradict the views of black children and parents with directly relevant experience.

Is that sound? Clearly not.

Who should know better here? Iā€™ll give you a hint, itā€™s not you.

The teacher didnt use the word in glee. It was other students who reacted with glee. Jesus

They wonā€™t even read what theyā€™re contradicting before they jump in.

This is Murica level stuff.

How do you know one or two black parents represent the view of all black parents?

Would you ban The Merchant of Venice also?

Jesus

Expand

FFS

Glas didnā€™t say he wanted anything banned first and foremost. Go have a chat with AOR on twitter about that if you like

So should absolutely every black person be offended by the ā€˜Nā€™ word before itā€™s allowed to be discussed as an issue? One or two is acceptable is it?

One or two people are going to be offended by literally everything. One black parent which is what is outlined in the journal piece does not mean that is the view of the majority or even a significant minority

Heā€™s defended Aodhanā€™s opinion which is to remove the book from the curriculum

1 Like

there was no number put on it and the plural was used. You havenā€™t even read the article, have you?

Children will be children, and will snigger at naughty or banned words regardless of who says them.

I would be genuinely of the belief (dismiss it as the belief of a middle aged* man if you like) that the book and its message are powerful enough to outweigh the discomfort a few puplis have felt in the class. It shines a light on racism and evil oppression in general and I think itā€™s no harm to expose JC level children to that subject matter. Itā€™s challenging novel, that shows a lot of the negative elements of racism and classism. Iā€™d imagine the author intended for people to feel uncomfortable reading it.

I also think it is unbelieveably racist for the middle-aged, white AOR to assume what books black people should and should not read, or to assume that the complaints of a few parents represent the entire black population and their views on the matter.

*I like to think Iā€™m nowhere near middle aged yet.

2 Likes

Youā€™re a very nice young man. He would have been gravely embarrassed had you left that up there.

Well done you.

1 Like

the book was written by a white person, about a white person and is a white persons view on racism

1 Like

Whatā€™s that got to do with anything? Heā€™s not saying who should and shouldnā€™t read it

who isnā€™t?