Tyrone 2018 - Happy to Work with British State-funded Operations

Tyrone really should have won that last night. Kicked the game away, some of the decision making and execution late on last night was frankly awful.

McAliskey had a terrible game, Brennan did absolutely nothing bar slot over a few close range frees.

I don’t real think the style has much to do with it, Monaghan force you to play a certain way, if you look at the results this season in the league, teams have generally scored what Tyrone did last night. It was the same failings of the Dublin game again, we gave ourselves a decent platform in the game but the composure and decision making in attack was our downfall.

Mayo hit 0-13 against them.
Kildare hit 0-12 against them
Kerry hit 0-14 against them

They don’t allow you to kick the ball in with the bodies they get back and they mirrored each other in style last night.

Conor Lane was typically awful in his refereeing of the game, some of the frees he blew for in the scoring range was pathetic as there was no to minimal contact with them, this went for both sides but Tyrone probably fared out worse overall. The worst was one he gave to Owen Duffy near the end after he leaned into Hampsey and fell over, worse than that he gave Hamspey a yellow for it.

Kieran McGeary and Michael McKernan were our best players on the night. McGeary was very good against Donegal in the McKenna Cup last weekend and improved that form tonight, he tackles superbly and is one of our best players at breaking tackles, his surges won a lot of frees and set up a lot of chances last night. Meyler also had a great game in the half back line surging forward. They have played most of their football in the half forward line under Harte but are better utilised there.

McKernan was superb at the back, scored a wonderful point and should be a nailed on starter come championship.

On the basis of it, I thought Tyrone were the dominant team for 50 minutes of that game after a slow opening but their wastefulness cost them, defensively we were solid without being overly defensive. The lack of conviction and poor decision making made them kick it away. Harte’s final shot at the end which fell into Beggan’s hands was endemic of it, it wasn’t really on, it was a difficult chance and he forced it, rather showing the composure and craft to keep the ball and work it into a more gettable score. With the way Lane was handing frees out last night, Tyrone could easily have bought a handy one in front of goal.

Staying in Div 1 is obviously very important, more for the future but the league performances don’t worry me too much in respect for the summer. The pitches play a lot different this time of the year and generally don’t suit Tyrone. Harte, to be fair is trying to alter things this year although some of the players seems confused at the minute as to what they’re meant to be at. We’re also rotating the squad much more this year than we did in last year’s league.

I’d like to see the following team for Donegal the next day:

1. Morgan
  2. HP McGeary
  3. McNamee
  4. McKernan
  5. Meyler
  6. Hampsey
  7. K McGeary
  8. Cavanagh
  9. M Donnelly
  10. R Donnelly
  11. Sludden
  12. Harte
  13. L Brennan
  14. McShane
  15. Bradley
2 Likes

Tyrone (Allianz FL v Donegal): Niall Morgan; Michael McKernan, Ronan McNamee, Cathal McCarron; Conor Meyler, Padraig Hampsey, Kieran McGeary; Colm Cavanagh, Padraig McNulty; Matthew Donnelly, Niall Sludden, Peter Harte; Lee Brennan, Connor McAliskey, Mark Bradley.

Subs: Mickey O’Neill, Rory Brennan, Brendan Burns, Conal McCann, Declan McClure, Aidan McCrory, Darren McCurry, Hugh Pat McGeary, Ronan McNabb, David Mulgrew, Ronan O’Neill.

Interesting to see how that forward line gets on, probably one of the smallest you’ll see across the country this weekend. Brennan has done ok so far, few decent performance and a few quiet ones, he’s worth carrying for his frees at present. McAliskey has been rusty, was very subdued against Monaghan last week and his finishing has been off.

What is it about Tyrone footballers?

1 Like

Cat got your tongue @Cicero_Dandi?

1 Like

The scum of the earth.

1 Like

Huh?

You don’t care to comment. Well surprise surprise.

I was unaware mate. Do you want me to say something?

Your silence says it all.

Silence? I didn’t know about it.

I think Mr McNally should be very ashamed of his actions.

What’s this about?

Moy.

Darren McCurry has opted off the Tyrone panel.

Work commitments have been cited as the reason but his confidence has looked shot since he missed a number of good chances against Kerry in 2015. I think it’s quite possible that he won’t play for Tyrone again. In recent years Harte has decided not to recall players who have dropped off the panel - Conan Grugan, Ryan McKenna, Barry Tierney, Kyle Coney, Shea McGuigan to name a few.

It’s a shame because he’s a lovely footballer, particularly when on song and I’d hazard a guess he was our top Championship scorer in the squad before his departure. I wonder how long more Ronan O’Neill will give it too, he should get some more time now with McCurry gone however.

A lot of Ulster counties seem to be suffering from players not making themselves available over the past few years - Armagh, Cavan and Derry in particular - the perks obviously not as good.

More evidence of Harte being a stobborn arrogant petty asshole.

And they are not making themselves available because they have little chance of success and the balance between life and effort working with gobshites like Harte and mcgeeney is not worth it

1 Like

Little chance of success? Only one side outside of Dublin have tasted success in the past 7 seasons.

There’s less free cars and the like handed out to Ulster GAA players though.

Bad injury for HP McGeary. Shame for the lad as he’s really nailed down a corner back slot this year and I’d have expected him to start come Championship.

Harte has said that the medical team are hopeful that HP McGeary’s injury is just very heavy bruising on the leg and not a fracture.

Hopefully that is the case.

images%20(2)

That is some head of hair on Conall McCann.

A hair-off between Conall McCann and Marty Clarke would be epic.

1 Like