Tyrone 2022 - Reigning AI Champs

Tyrone kick off their McKenna Cup tomorrow. The team only returned from their team holiday on Sunday so would expect the team will be mainly made up of the senior members who didn’t go on the holiday and players they are trialling.

Rumours of a few other players stepping away also.

Anyone prominent?

Not really but Paul Donaghy apparently gone which is strange as last season was his first year on the panel and he came on in the final. Would have expected him to get more opportunities this year.

Tyrone will be stronger again this year, people tipping Kerry and Dublin again, I can’t see it. I think Tyrone are building another serious side that will dominate. Derry coming along too I’d say.

The age profile of that Tyrone side is good. McShane and Canavan fully available this year would be two huge additions and I’d expect much more from McKenna.

There’s a lot of good players about so they will need players like Mark Bradley, Rory Brennan, Liam Rafferty etc kicking on now this season and putting serious competition for jerseys. Kerry will be the favs, the draw will naturally do that but I do feel Tyrone have the strongest depth in quality and best age profile of the big teams at the minute.

Dublin are in a state of flux, Kerry are too reliant on Clifford.

1 Like

Interesting team. Looks like Emmett McNabb didn’t get a call up.

Surprised Conor Quinn is involved as UUJ playing tomorrow.

Tyrone getting a spanking here in Breffni.

Cavan 1-09
Tyrone 0-02

Looking forward to the Dublin/ Kerry games
Dublin for a bruising

Is that one of the Oguz’s of Fivemiletown?

1 Like

Some of the Tyrone players must be drunk here.

Cavan 1-16
Tyrone 0-03

Cavan 1-17
Tyrone 0-05

This would never have happened under Mickey.

1 Like

…or vaccinated

2 Likes

I wonder if Ruairi is the bigger talent than Darragh. Seems to be scoring heavily at every level he’s played in to date. Be interesting to see how he does in what will be a very heavily fancied Tyrone u20s this coming year. Himself and Aidrian Cush’s young lad could be an electric inside pairing.

Ruairi certainly seems to be the heavier scorer of the two though I think Darragh has that speed of thought and off the cuff instincts of his da.

Good to see Donaghy on the bench after rumours he had stepped away. Very inexperienced side, not many players did their chances much good on Wednesday. Nothing really to play for here for Tyrone as they are effectively out and Armagh need a win so should be a good test.

Herron is one player I’d think could make a good impression this year, great engine and lots of pace.

Must be carrying a big squad at this time of year. Paudie McNulty was meant to have rejoined the panel but no sign of him so far.

3 point win for Armagh. Much better in the second half from Tyrone, more energy, support play and defenders got tighter.

Rafferty the standout for Tyrone. Mattie Donnelly was decent and Kilpatrick and Meyler came into it in the second half.

The new lads that started didn’t do too well but I thought Mark McKearney and James Garrity were good off the bench. Paul Donaghy also did very well off the bench but looks such a confidence player.

A lot of last year’s players yet to feature - Hampsey went off with a knock against Cavan. We face Monaghan in two weeks so I’d say we might not see to many starting that haven’t featured yet.

I’d go along the lines of:

1. Morgan
  2. McKernan
  3. C Quinn
  4. Rafferty
  5. R Brennan
  6. McGeary
  7. Harte
  8. R Donnelly
  9. Kilpatrick
  10. Meyler
  11. McKearney
  12. Sludden
  13. McCurry
  14. M Donnelly
  15. Donaghy

Should give us a strong enough bench depending on who is available like McShane, McNamee, Hampsey, McKenna, Bradley, Kennedy Canavan, McCann etc

With the team holiday, I’d say Tyrone are probably 3/4 weeks behind the other counties so 2 weeks of hard training now probably likely to be of more benefit than another game or two in the McKenna Cup.

So so match easy goal conceded by Tyrone, who’s 23 : looked fucked out of shape
Grey haired with a beer belly

For Tyrone or Armagh?

23 was Paul Donaghy for Tyrone so I assume it’s Mark Shields of Armagh you are thinking of.

Rian O’Neill is arguably the best forward in the game after Clifford right now.

Tyrone guy I was mentioning- totally out of shape-think he was 23, now might have been blonde but to me looked grey

That was Donaghy. Thought he did well when introduce, think he got 4 or 5 in the 2nd half. He’s an awkward running style but put in a good shift out there.

Only watched 20 m
As long as ye hammer the dubs I don’t care if there’s a 30 stone man togging out

1 Like