UEFA Champions League 2009/2010

[quote=“Sledgehammer”]The final round of that “non-champions route” is going to be dog-eat-dog stuff when you see the lineup. I’d say Celtic will progress this round but it’s probably the least ideal of all the possible draws.

If Bohs can pull off a result on Wednesday we have the winners of Pyunik v Dinamo Zagreb in the final qualifying round of the “champions route”. You’d think it would be Zagreb but I don’t think a lot of people would have been expecting the Armenians to hold Dinamo scoreless in the first leg, even though it was on their own (Pyunik’s) patch.[/QUOTE]

What chances would you give Bohs of getting though on Wednesday sledge?

[quote=“Sledgehammer”]The final round of that “non-champions route” is going to be dog-eat-dog stuff when you see the lineup. I’d say Celtic will progress this round but it’s probably the least ideal of all the possible draws.

If Bohs can pull off a result on Wednesday we have the winners of Pyunik v Dinamo Zagreb in the final qualifying round of the “champions route”. You’d think it would be Zagreb but I don’t think a lot of people would have been expecting the Armenians to hold Dinamo scoreless in the first leg, even though it was on their own (Pyunik’s) patch.[/QUOTE]

And that is great vindication for Platini. To be honest if he does nothing else in his time at UEFA that’s a huge improvement.

Also makes the competition more interesting from an earlier stage. The Celtic v Spartak Moscow tie a few years ago was one of the best games of football I’ve been at. The more even match-ups you get the better.

Definitely, when you see the positive impact that the new champions/non-champions structure has on smaller, poorer clubs, it just makes you wonder why they didn’t bring something like this in earlier.

We’re still rank outsiders. They know us a lot better now, they will be fitter and sharper, and it’s hard to imagine them missing as many chances as they did in the first leg, if they create anywhere near as many. There are also some positives for us though, every result like that sheds a little of the feeling of inferiority, plus we’ll have Owen Heary back to organise our defence a lot better than it was on Wednesday. Dalymount isn’t exactly the Ataturk Stadium but I’d say it’s safe to say they won’t like it nonetheless. Real grass, basic facilities relative to what they’re used to, and they only won 6 on the road in their league last season I believe. I’ve a suspicion they could be flaky, but if not then they have enough class to put 2 past us and if they do, I can’t see us scoring enough to beat them or even take it to extra time.

Yeah well great result this week regardless. If nothing else gives valuable boost to league. Would be nice to see RTE or some other channel showing the second league but suppose they are too busy sending reporters to EPL grounds every week

It’s a great innovation by Platini all right. Celtic can have no qualms if they don’t progress as we’re at fault for not winning the domestic league last season. The potential 4th round opposition are pretty strong but it would be silly to look past Moskva. That said, Lyon have just sold Benzema and Juninho. :thumbsup:

[quote=“Rocko”]I don’t think we’re as good a side (at the moment anyway) as we were two years ago but I don’t think these lads will be as good as Spartak were/are.

When is the home match and shall you/we be attending?[/QUOTE]

The home leg is either the 28th or 29th of July. I shall not be attending if it’s on the Tuesday as I have a league to win for TFK; however, I might attend if the game goes ahead on the Wednesday. What is your take on matters, Rocko?

It’s just been confirmed that we’re playing at home on Wednesday, 29th July, and away a week later on Wednesday, 5th August. Who’s on for a TFK away day? Mogga’s first competitive game at Celtic Park - it would be rude to miss out on the first game of his tenure.

As in the home game? Any idea as to prices of flights?

Dates don’t suit me at all but I shall travel regardless.

I spoke to Platini earlier and he confirmed he was aware of our astro commitments on the Tuesday so he pushed for the match to take place on Wednesday.

Who’s booking the flights so? Shall I book 3?

[quote=“Rocko”]Dates don’t suit me at all but I shall travel regardless.

I spoke to Platini earlier and he confirmed he was aware of our astro commitments on the Tuesday so he pushed for the match to take place on Wednesday.

Who’s booking the flights so? Shall I book 3?[/QUOTE]

Book away there Rocko, I don’t get paid til next week - plus you still owe me for the championship clinching trip (or not) to the Hearts game, I think.

We’re booked.

Ryanair out at 08:20 on the Wednesday. Our national carrier brings us home at 10:55 the following morning.

My workplace won’t be happy.

I’ve no interest in the cunts showing us, ticket sales are going very well by all accounts and the fuckers end up jinxing us when they show us

Not long now lads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgomX3qD-iA

Scott Brown’s apparently out of the first leg of the Dinamo Moscow tie. Mowbray said he’s happy to be home first as we’ve already been to Australia and back in pre-season and he didn’t fancy travelling again so soon. Also, we’re committed to playing in the Wembley Cup on the Friday and Sunday before the first leg so it’s more straightforward to get back to Glasgow. It took a good bit of wrangling in work today to get the time off for this one.

Anyone know who Rovers get if they knock Real Madrid out?

:smiley:

Players must be reigstered by 11pm on Thursday, 23 July if they’re to feature in the next round. A left back by then please.

We need to get Graham Carey back from Celtic now that he’s signed his new deal, hopefully the pigs don’t manage to bring him to Tallaght.

Was actually thinkig of having a small each way bet on him being topscorer in scotland…pays top 3…that allows for one celtic and rangers striker…He’ll be getting forward like he did at Hibs under Mowbray…can’t see any odds for him online…they’re offering 250/1 on paddy mccourt mind…