UEFA Champions League 2009/2010

Celtic in this morning’s draw for 3rd qualifying round.

They will play one of the following :

Sparta Prague
FC Twente
Dinamo Moscow
FC Timisoara
Sivasspor

Bohemians will win this.

I doubt they will. Irish clubs, other than Limerick, have never made an impression in the European cup.

Who?

Shecond shoice Shteve McClaren’s FC Twente could be interesting. It would be a good tactical battle with Mogga having to pit his wits against a Dutch manager.

Villa beat Prague last year. Not sure if it was Sparta or Slavia. They were shit. Brutal at the back altogether.

The Celtic Football Club versus Dinamo Moskva.

Could be tricky - they’re already well into their league but they’re 7th at the moment.

First leg at Celtic Park.

[quote=“Bandage”]The Celtic Football Club versus Dinamo Moskva.

Could be tricky - they’re already well into their league but they’re 7th at the moment.

First leg at Celtic Park.[/QUOTE]

Not the one I wanted but that was based on reputation.

Their squad doesn’t look hugely impressive - Kerzhakov is a striker for Russia as far as I know and they’ve Wilkshire from Australia but don’t think I’ve heard of any others in the squad.*

The biggest thing I suppose is the fact they were third in the Russian 1st division last season but we should still be able to match the third team from Russia you’d hope.

• the squad info I’m reading is from Wikipedia but that page claims that their chairman is Joesph Fritzl so who knows how much of it to believe.

You might recall Denis Kolodin from Euro 2008 too. Big defender who wandered forward and cracked a couple of 40 yard shots off the bar. Match fitness is the main concern but we overcame Spartak Moscow in similar circumstances 2 years ago.

[quote=“Rocko”]

• the squad info I’m reading is from Wikipedia but that page claims that their chairman is Joesph Fritzl so who knows how much of it to believe.[/QUOTE]

with him in charge i’d reckon they’re probably nothing more than a Russian league basement team so…:mad:

I don’t think we’re as good a side (at the moment anyway) as we were two years ago but I don’t think these lads will be as good as Spartak were/are.

When is the home match and shall you/we be attending?

Is this round to get into the Champions League?

[quote=“Captainshan”]Is this round to get into the Champions League?

[/QUOTE]

No Shan, there is another qualifying round after this

Thats tough for Celtic so. Even if they get through that they would face a tougher team in the next round. Cheers for clearing that up. :thumbsup:

When Celtic beat Dinamo, they will play one of the following :

Arsenal
Lyon
Stuttgart
Fiorentina
Atletico Madrid

[quote=“thedancingbaby”]When Celtic beat Dinamo, they will play one of the following :

Arsenal
Lyon
Stuttgart
Fiorentina
Atletico Madrid[/quote]

Arrogance wont get ya nowhere. Dont look by anyone. Cant see Celtic playing in the group stages this season. If you lose against the Russians will there be no European matches at all? I dont know do teams get fucked in the Europa League.

That looks a tough draw. Think we are a lot poorer then we were two years ago but hopefully opposition won’t be as good. Wouldn’t fancy us against Arsenal, Lyon, Stuttgart, Fiorentina or Madrid either.

Would need to be bringing a lead to Moscow with us and I don’t mean a dog one.

Stuttgart was great craic in the run to Seville. I would be tempted to make a return trip

Suttgart is a cracking city and they had great fans. I wouldn’t mind going back there alright. Still it’s all about Moscow for the moment.

Shan in answer to your question there’s Europa League if Celtic lose in either round - just different rounds of Europa League that we would start at depending on the round of elimination. That’s what I recall anyway, I could be wrong but that rarely happens.

The final round of that “non-champions route” is going to be dog-eat-dog stuff when you see the lineup. I’d say Celtic will progress this round but it’s probably the least ideal of all the possible draws.

If Bohs can pull off a result on Wednesday we have the winners of Pyunik v Dinamo Zagreb in the final qualifying round of the “champions route”. You’d think it would be Zagreb but I don’t think a lot of people would have been expecting the Armenians to hold Dinamo scoreless in the first leg, even though it was on their own (Pyunik’s) patch.