UEFA champions league 2017/2018 qualifiers

Celtic badly lacking the calming influence of an Efe Ambrose tonight

Griffiths with a tidy finish.

John Hartson reckons the damage for Astana was done last week…

2 Likes

No coefficient points accumulated tonight (cc @mickee321). Very disappointing second half display. We’ve taken a couple of unnecessary risks while securing passage to the group stages - no fit striker against Rosenberg (probably need a third in the squad) and playing a reserve centre midfielder as centre back in this tie.

Nice v Napoli on TV3 now . Napoli look decent but Nice poor .

One of Rodgers’ biggest challenges over the next while will be to recognise when Brown needs to be replaced as first choice midfielder and then managing that whole process. He had similar at Liverpool with Gerrard coming to the end. A similar main man and big personality and my impression from afar was he fudged it a little. I’ll probably be accused of overreacting, and I know Brown had a stellar season last year after an inauspicious start (Red Imps), but there’s been a few worrying signs in this opening stretch of games. He’s got caught in possession on numerous occasions in his own half. Now most of these have been unpunished (with the exception of the second goal tonight) and when we were already ahead but I’m noticing a slowing in his reactions which isn’t ideal if he’s playing this “controller” role as Rodgers calls it.

cc @thedancingbaby @anon98850436 @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy @Rocko @Nembo_Kid

Wayching Nice here - Balotelli, Schneijder, Dante, all swaning around the pitch, like dead men walking. These guys are finished. France in a footballing sense is the graveyard of ambition.
Such a gulf in class to Napoli. Callejón goal should see Naples finest through.

Sevilla-Istanbul Basaksehir is the game to be watching tonight, guys.

Scrub that. Sevilla have just equalised on the night.

IB always needed a 2nd so not a lot has changed

Thanks, George Hamilton.

2 Likes

An oirish lad giving out about the standard of football in France

Bizarre

Relative to the size and wealth of the country, it is.

No

2-2 on the night in Seville. Home side lead 4-3 on aggregate.

Istanbul just hit the post. Celtic inches away from Pot 3.

The Jews are out.

cc @mickee321.

Napoli, Olympiacos and Sevilla all progress too.

@mickee321, it’s been claimed by a poster on ANOTHER forum that teams gain coefficient points for qualification through the preliminary rounds and not for individual games at this stage. So, for example, losing last night doesn’t really matter to Celtic’s coefficient as they merely gain points for getting through that round. It’s in the main competition stages where teams get points for individual match results. Could you confirm please?

yes, that IS i believe correct as i had a similar discussion on a different platform regarding hapoel Beer Sheva’s away goals defeat
saw you win the first leg 2-0 and loose the second 1-0 you still progress so you should take the points
In Hapoel’s case they won the first leg but the 1-0 defeat saw them go out on away goals so they wont receive any points for winning a game at this stage as the simply didnt progress
last night was an incredibly tense occasion in Maribor, the locals nicked it but Beer Sheva will rue going out playing 5 at the back in the first half, when they went to their more orthodox 4-3-3 they overran the hosts but only an incredible performance from Handanovic in goals and errant shooting cost them…
its UEFA cup now but there are talks that Mohommed Ghadir and Anthony Nwakaeme two of their decent attackers arent hanging around

1 Like