Uk affairs, The Double Lizzie Crisis (Part 1)

Incorrect.

Britain collaborated with the Nazis right up until the start of WWII. They made a pathetic attempt to tackle the Germans at the start of the war, then legged it back to Blighty as soon as the going got tough.

They only plucked up the courage to step foot back on continental Europe when they were hiding behind the Yanks at Normandy.

The Polish played more of a part in bringing down Hitler than the Brits did, as did the Belgians and Dutch.

1 Like

:grinning: the Micks are now claiming the Brits did nothing as they are so ashamed of their grandfathers cowering in a corner.

1 Like

My grandfather wasn’t on a boat at Dunkirk pal.

Did you have people there, mate?

The truth of this is somewhere in the middle. Declaring war on the German war machine may have been an act of arrogance, but it certainly wasn’t an act of cowardice, and now the facts are known, the British were on the right side of it in truth.

They went to war for economic reason and empire, mate… Not to stand up to Nazi-ism.

2 Likes

Yeah he was sitting at home on his arse eating rations while DeValera talked about comely maidens at the crossroads. How quaint.

1 Like

Vets of both wars.

Where did they see service?

I’m guessing the Dental Corps

1 Like

Peeling spuds - apt for a Mick.

:rofl: hiding under the bed above in the Curragh when the real fighting was been done, (by someone else of course)

Normandy

I’m surprised nobody has yet mentioned the Russians role in winning the war.

Dunkirk is a miserable spot now. The French have no grá for it at all. While the Brits did brilliantly to spin it as a victory it was the final nail in the French defeat.

1 Like

:unamused:

They’re still at it today. Happy enough for Russian Planes to fly down the West Coast and the RAF to protect us. If Oireland was invaded tomorrow we’d be begging for the British and NATO’s help.

1 Like

You could be right. I understood that it was due to a treaty they’d signed with Belgium. Wasn’t there, so I’ve no idea. It’s only as you get older that you start to question what you’ve been taught.
I’d still argue that whatever the reasons, cowardice wasn’t a feature in declaring war on Germany (apparently Hitler didn’t want to fight the brits), a terrifying force at that time, and that they did the world a favour by standing against nazi Germany.

I think it’s interesting that the Brexit Brits hark back to the war when the war was the exact time it was proved that Britain was in irrevocable decline as a great power.

They’re clearly nostalgic for another irrevocable decline.

not surprising Militarily, the French were a national disgrace, thundering cowards, Hitler hardly fired a shot when he took them over

The Russians won the war.
Everything you said is on the money imo.

1 Like