Uk affairs, The Double Lizzie Crisis (Part 1)

They were happy enough to sacrifice Czechoslovakia to German lebensraum so I wouldn’t overdo the bravery aspect of it.

Hitler destroyed the Brits ffs … they had to beg the Americans to come in and save them, giving up a lot of economic clout in the process … Neither could beat Hitler and it was the Russians that broke him eventually.

The seeds of decline were sown in WW1. Alan Clarke wrote brilliantly about it in his history of the Conservative Party. The number of young men lost had a cataclysmic effect on industry and their ability to govern foreign lands. This was compounded by WW2.

1 Like

I wasn’t. All I was saying that it wasn’t a cowardly decision. Didn’t say it was brave or moral. People are desperate to cast the war against the nazis in as bad a light as possible. I’m not sure why.
In any case, violence is pretty much always the last refuge of the incompetent.

There’s a board at my young lads school with the names of ex pupils who had died in WW1.
I counted over 600 names on it when I was at a thing there the last day. There’s about a hundred and twenty lads in a year now. Likely the same or less back then.
It’s sobering enough tbh.

we will never forget them

1 Like

I don’t recall anywhere saying that he didn’t. Why are you so desperate to put words in my mouth?
My points were

1. It was not an act of cowardice declaring war on the German war machine (albeit the govt knew none of them would actually have to do the bleeding)
  2. On balance, with what we now know about the actions of the nazis, the brits were on the right side of it.

Ha the lads are so desperate that people don’t use any words with positive connotations when describing the armed forces and British people. Desperately small time.

1 Like

Flatty has been completely indoctrinated by the British media. He probably watches last night of the proms with his little union jack.

I don’t know why you’d think anybody would be trying to cast the war against the Nazis in as poor a light as possible, because that clearly isn’t the case.

Allied involvement in World War II is not a black and white thing in terms of moral clarity.

The Brits did ultimately stand against Naziism but that was mainly down to Churchill, backed up by Attlee.

Chamberlain capitulated in the pre-war period and Lord Halifax who almost became Prime Minister instead of Churchill in 1940 wanted to sue for peace.

The Russians don’t have a particularly big claim to moral clarity in standing against the Nazis as they signed a pact with them in August 1939 and that only went when Stalin was taken by surprise by Operation Barbarossa.

The Yanks don’t have a great claim to moral clarity either given that they didn’t enter the war until the end of 1941.

In terms of who actually did the winning of the war, that’s easy.

The Russians primarily, then the Yanks, with the Brits a distant third.

2 Likes

They didn’t know about any of it until the war was nearly over - they were fighting for their shitty Empire - two generations butchered and damned - They left eastern Europe in the hands of murderous communist Russia - freedom my hole… They were left with the the waterways and empire and they didn’t give a fuck about what the Germans and Russians were doing in mainland Europe as long as they could go about their business.

1 Like

It was the women wot won it.

They lost a generation of their own men.

The Brits biggest achievement was not being knocked out. They survived and provided a landing stsge for the Yanks.

All the while their German over-lords were actually sitting on the throne :grin:

The brits are still obsessed with WWI and WWII

Nostalgia for a time Before it became a Muslim country

With the help of lendlease but they had the numbers of bodies to sacrifice, sadly. Some massive Russian war cemetries over here.

1 Like

They are still obsessed with Agincourt for fuck sake.

1 Like

And the Irish are still obsessed with the Easter Rising and War of Independence.

1 Like