Uk affairs, The Double Lizzie Crisis (Part 1)

horrific

Current death toll stands at six. Over 50 hospitalised so far

Good old Sky. Even Noel Edmonds would have balked at this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdfecMeDN9c

Reading the stories from the residents that got out is horrific. People throwing babies out the window asking people to catch the baby. You would never be right again after experiencing something like that.

Good jaysus.

Saw an interview with one lad who helped his 68 year old aunt to get out. He seems to have seen the fire relatively early, but by the time he got out he said it was just about manageable to move through the smoke. Reckoned that it would have been impossible five minutes later. With no alarm system the top half of the tower could well have been cut off by the fire before the residents would have had time to react.

That cladding is lethal. In Dubai they had introduced legislation to ban it after those disastrous tower fires that they had. Insane that they have a higher standard of fire safety in the UAE than they have in the UK. But then that’s the Tories for you. Can’t have health and safety costing people money.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/theresa-mays-chief-staff-sat-10620357

Death toll now at 17. But the fire crews have still not been able to get to the top 4 floors due to fear of collapse. A lot of residents have said in interviews that they were told to stay inside their apartments. By who it’s not clear.

Theresa May visited the site this morning but refused to meet any of the residents.

The next time a neighbour or one of their family members dies, I must pay a visit to their house and refuse to speak to them.

Works for May, anyway.

That’s standard enough practice I believe, based on normal internal fire safety rules on a building of that height. The cladding going up like a candle wasn’t factored into that.

Well normally the first safety plans say that there should be an hours delay in the fire spreading from 1 unit to another well that is here, I’m not sure what it is in the UK. I’m sure it is stricter, @Tassotti can let us know because according to him we are just fucking thick in this country. So if that was in place in this case then telling people to stay in and block the smoke with wet towels was correct as they would have had time to put the fire out and get the people out.

Pretty much. With proper regulations like Fire Doors you should be able to contain the fire to such a point that it will be put out before it ever gets near you.

Running outside would just cause a panic and you could be taken over with smoke.

I suppose in those regulations they never considered a fire spreading by going up the outside of the building. Even in this case you would think that the fire escape would still be usable.

Whatever the material, it flew up the block. You’d imagine people had windows open as well as it’s an early summer’s night so the fire would engulf people quicker.

Stardust was 1981, 36 years ago. That did change things here.
It has taken the mainland a while to catch up

The cladding was the game changer, instructions weren’t modified to allow for the risk of it going on fire. Will be interesting to find out what the spec of the cladding was and if it was supposed to be fire rated.

They’ve learned nothing from previous incidents

i don’t think ive ever seen you be wrong but id ask you to reflect on this statement

i believe fire doors protect the route to escape, a 1 hour fire door gives you 1 hour to escape not one hour to sit behind it hoping for the best
one of those boring knowitall pricks like @gman or @fran will clear this up no doubt, lets hope they can keep it concise or at least put the answer in the first paragraph

I’m no Architect or fire consultant but I would believe your interpretation to be correct, it does depend on the fire strategy of the building however