Uncivilised travellers

Good few of them in Woodlawn in New York, one of them driving around a Porsche with the number plate tarmacer

Local lad works hard as a painter. Drives a battered old Corrolla.

His brothers, who never worked a day in their lives, driving around in new cars.

5 Likes

Loads. Plenty of them are lovely people

2 Likes

True. Just a shame they’re so outnumbered by the absolute worst of the worst to grace the country’s byroads

I’ve known loads of decent travellers
I grew up with lots of travellers in our school, they were mostly A1
My old fella used to fix cars for some of them, when he died there was loads of them showed up for the funeral, a famous story my mother told was how a fella called to the door about 6 months later to sympathise because he had been away and hadn’t heard, sone really decent people.
Another one I remember is one day I was walking up the path to my house with Simon Zebos old fella Arthur, and there was two travellers coming in the opposite direction, this was the early 90s, the black man and the travellers gave each other the howreya, I thought that was really cool. We often had travellers in the house.
Now I teach lots of travellers, I’ve had a few every year in my current job, mostly good kids, you’d worry for them, they’ve no chance.
There’s a terrible element within that community but it sickens me to see them tarred with the one brush.
Anyway these threads have been shit down in the past, it’s the last acceptable form of racism

13 Likes

https://twitter.com/gardainfo/status/1745484278836699267?s=46&t=YOfhVM10W0bcyIiYSLI3Wg

Close this thread tis a waste of time much like the subject of it.

3 Likes

A sister in law of mine taught in an inner city dublin school for a few years after finishing university. Kids from the flats, and travellers mainly. They provided lunches for the kids, and reckoned many of the traveller kids would be starving as their parents felt it unnecessary to feed them as they were getting fed in school. The point I’m trying to make is that it would do no harm to have another look at how the country can bridge the gap so that a fewer percentage of them end up dropping out of education early, in prisons, criminal activity and early deaths. The longer we ignore the conversation as a nation, the greater the gap will grow.

8 Likes

That’s pretty fair.
There is a massive problem with participation in education

The education thing is massive. Without that you any bridging of the gap can be forgotten.

Also it would be good to see a push towards traveller councillors as well.

Like most on here I went to school with travellers in National School, Absolutely fine lads who were integrated without a problem with everyone else. Some good footballers too. It seems to be after that where the problem comes.

In my local where I currently live a traveller family drink regularly. Again absolutely fine people extremely well got by the other locals.

We all know the horror stories though. Some really bad shit in some cases.

3 Likes

There are plenty of decent sorts in the community tbf. Unfortunately its the criminal elements within the community gives them all a bad name

2 Likes

American pulls gun on traveller over dispute about a job

Sad day for the forum

The culture is anti education… The fathers/ men see no value in it… Many of the women would like their kids educated but they have no say.

They don’t need an education to make money :person_shrugging:t2:

5 Likes

I’m a sec school teacher and we got two travelers in 1st year this year.

Traveller 1: He loves school and doesn’t cause an ounce of hassle. He is will well liked by his peers and teachers and is a capable student. However the community he lives in have disdain for school. He is encouraged not to at not to attend as as result has barely seen since Halloween.

Traveller 2: Comes in 3/4 days a week and is constantly causing issues. Now got to a stage where he is stabbing kids in his class with pens and compssses. His people at home pull the ethnicity card when disciplinary issues come to a head. They school basically are a childcare facility which he is not suited for.

6 Likes

I wonder does a lot of it come back to trauma passed down from generation to generation. As a people they’ve been very badly treated for 150 years plus in fairness.

Social media certainly isnt a good thing full stop but you could argue its hurt them more than most too with how it can escalate rows etc.

Education is the key realistically.

2 Likes

As in this thread is a sad for the forum

Feel for you @Corksfinedtboy mate. That could easily be a settled couple too though. I’d be most annoyed with Cluid for not doing any criminal background checks and just dropping that family into your estate.

1 Like

Your betting threads are far more damaging than this has been so far

1 Like

This forum was built on sad days what’s another one to us.