University Challenge

From the Torygraph. Bullet points to follow.

Forget Jeremy Paxman – the real star of University Challenge is Eric Monkman. With his furrowed brow, his inability to master an indoor voice and his penchant for a well-starched collar, the 29-year-old captain of Cambridge University’s Wolfson College team is the only reason viewers are counting down the hours to tomorrow night’s grand final.
Monkman, with an intellect matched only by his awesome ferocity, has taken over the most recent series – and the internet. According to the hashtag #Monkmania, he is now a verified social media sensation. Fans have compared him to everything from a superhero to a god, with one saying: “I love him more than my children.”
Paxo himself was so struck by Monkman’s enthusiastic translation of “He who lives by the sword shall perish by the sword” from the original Latin – delivered with an inflected Canadian accent and wild hand gestures – that he told him: “You would have made a wonderful revivalist preacher.”
Back home in Oakville, where Monkman has lived ever since he graduated from his Masters in Economics at Cambridge last year, he is modest about his fame. “I’m just someone who really enjoys quizzing,” he says, in the wondrously deep tones that have taken over the nation’s living rooms. “I’ve been doing it for some time and it’s a really fun hobby for me. I’m always happy to hear there are people enjoying the show, and it was satisfying to know there were people out there who enjoyed the hobby I do, because for most of my life it felt… fringe.”
“The Monkman”, as his fans know him, grew up in an “intelligent” family of physicians. His mother Debbie is a doctor, as was his father Evan until he died of cancer when Monkman was a teenager; his older sister Katie is also a doctor. “I’m the odd one in the family,” he explains. “I don’t handle blood well.”
At school, he was obsessed with everything from Ancient Egypt to learning Latin – a subject taught to him by his uncle. His sister described him to the BBC as “eccentric”, while his teachers said he was a “nerdy, geeky student” – epithets that Monkman admits to as fair.
“I bring intensity to things I do – you see it on television. When I was very young, my goal was to become a scientist, but I was also interested in history because I find the past so mysterious. With Latin, I was interested in the language because of the idea of there being old inscriptions that could somehow be unlocked.”
Yet his biggest passion was always physics, and he went on to study maths and physics at the University of Waterloo. His voice softens – though it is still quite loud – as he admits: “I found I didn’t have the mathematical aptitude for it. That’s been a source of sadness for me…”
Instead, he went on to work for the Canadian government’s financial law enforcement agency, before deciding to study economics at Cambridge University in 2015. Since graduating, he has spent time back home in Canada looking for a job, and rather unexpectedly for someone who seems to know everything, he tells me: “I am taking some time to figure out what I want to do with my life.”
Before I can put him down as a typical millennial, he explains he has spent this time learning the piano, reading non-fiction – “if I can find a well-written book on an academic subject, it’s likely I’ll find it interesting” – and watching absolutely no Netflix: “I’m not someone who watches a lot of contemporary TV”.
One of his main hobbies has always been quizzing, and applying for University Challenge was one of the first things he did on joining Cambridge University. Indeed, it even helped sway him to accept his offer at Wolfson College. On a trip to the university campus, he bought the show’s official quiz book at a churchyard sale.
“I didn’t really know a whole lot about University Challenge, but I did know it was something I was interested in,” he explains. “Quizzing is an activity I love, and one I don’t think people in Canada are as interested in [as the British].”
He never expected to receive any attention from the show and, at first, was uncomfortable with the comments on Twitter about his personal appearance and facial expressions. “The first time I appeared on television, a lot of people were saying I was too loud or obnoxious. Eventually, people came to like my idiosyncrasies, but at the beginning, it was a bit surprising and somewhat unpleasant.”
Monkman cannot understand why so much fuss has been made about his appearance on the show. “I don’t really understand it. Maybe it’s because I don’t play as if I’m on television. [With informal quizzes], you don’t have a microphone, so you have to speak up. That’s maybe why I have interesting facial expressions.
“I wore the same outfit for every recording because it was one fewer thing to think about. I try to keep all my mental capacity [for the questions]. The only thing that changed was whether my collars were tucked in or not, which people noticed.”
Monkman’s long-term – and long-distance – girlfriend Jiang Na, a professor of law at Beijing Normal University, whom he met when she studied in Canada, is even more confused. “She doesn’t really see much that’s happening [to me] from China, so she only knows what I tell her. She thinks it’s a bit strange.”
Monkman fans, particularly those who have professed their love for him online, will doubtless be devastated to hear he is already spoken for, but Monkman does not believe any of them are “seriously obsessed” with him: “I certainly don’t think of myself as any object of desire. I assume people are being ironic, not serious. I think they’re just trying to be funny.”
While Monkman cannot disclose how his team fares in tomorrow night’s final, he says he’s “very pleased” with how Wolfson have done generally. Either way, Monkman is adamant he will not be turn his quizzing into a career.
“It’s a hobby I enjoy, but my ideal would be if people remember me as a ‘guy who appeared on University Challenge’, rather than ‘the guy known for appearing on University Challenge’. I think probably for most of my life I’ve been interested in ideas and trying to make some kind of contribution to a field, and do something interesting and worthwhile. Quizzing is a lot of fun, but it’s just a hobby.”

1 Like

A 29 year old doler. Lovely. I’d say his doctor mum is pleased.

1 Like

Brains to burn. I’ll bet the girlfriend is a real babe.

Monkman off to a flier.

Monkman feeling the pressure now…

Choudury’s on fire

Chaudri dragging them back into it.

How did they not get that one ffs?

Monkman will be bulling with Yang

The question that all Irish viewers want to know the answer to: Is Cookstown’s Paul Cosgrove one of us or one of them?

1 Like

He didn’t know the battle of Clontarf ffs

Goldman getting Balliol’s noses in front.

Monkman surely can’t turn this around now.

Disastrous anticipation on the previous starter question.

That could be that.

Monkman sent home with his tea in a mug. Big man for the small occasion

Goldman delivered in fairness.
Monkmans eagerness cost them. As he memorably answered in a previous round
“He who lives by sword shall perish by the sword”

Pulled some great ones out of the bag but did jump the gun too much, Goldman was a lot calmer.

Limerickesque from Monkman.

All of these contestants are the personification of virginity.

It sickened me to see an Oxford team receive the trophy in Cambridge after beating a Cambridge team.

It’s the University Challenge equivalent of Rangers receiving the Scottish Premier League trophy at Celtic Park.

Fuck Oxford.