Unpopular opinions or views you hold

They admitted liability on the basis of not telling people about their results being audited.

They also tried to gag Vicky Phelan with a non disclosure agreement.

Whatever your views of false negative prevalences that is wrong.

In fact it may well have been illegal - Iā€™m not sure when the Open Disclosures legislation came in. It may have been as a result of all of this.

In other countries patients are not told the results of audits.

In Canada there is legislation that patients are not told the results of audits.

7.5 million euro is an utterly ridiculous figure to be handing out on the basis of not telling somebody the result of an audit.

Not telling a patient the result of an audit also made zero difference to their treatment and had zero influence on whether any of the patients lived or died.

I donā€™t disagree with you on the size of the individual settlement but a wrong was done and an attempt was made to cover it up.

Are the lab in the US, and hence HSE, completely off the hook in terms of being negligent in their testing of the initial results? Smears may be difficult to read but is it the case that the lab did nothing wrong in their procedures?

I donā€™t see what the ā€œwrongā€ was.

I donā€™t see how the standard of ā€œabsolute confidenceā€ in a negative smear test can ever be achieved.

What exactly was the cover up? It seems to me there wasnā€™t a cover up, but the communication of results was poor and I think in some cases was left to the discretion of individual GPs. Thatā€™s poor communication of information for sure but it doesnā€™t seem like a cover up.

Again, other countries do not routinely communicate results of such audits to patients, presumably because they want people to have confidence in cancer screening programmes. Because stories can be blown into something they arenā€™t by an opportunistic media, who have ratings to achieve and papers to sell.

I would think that if the lab were doing things wrong, you would have an elevated level of false negatives compared to similar programmes in other countries.

As far as I can see that wasnā€™t the case and the level of false negatives in the Irish system compared favourably to similar programmes in other countries.

The non disclosure agreement the HSE wanted Vicky Phelan to sign right back at the very start. If she decided to sign that it is doubtful any of the affected women would have known.

I donā€™t see how thatā€™s a cover up. The exact thing the HSE likely feared and expected - that the story would be sensationalised and blown up beyond all proportion into something it was not, and that public confidence in the Cervical Check programme - which was performing very well - would be undermined, happened. It happened because of our modern media environment, because wild claims were thrown around, because context was demolished.

Precisely because women with cancer went public and a load of sensationalistic reporting demolished the context around the whole issue.

The majority of the country now thinks Cervical Check and Breast Check and Bowel Screen and whatever else are supposed to be foolproof, 100% certain diagnostic tests for cancer when they are not.

Now a load of people genuinely believe the fiction that the HSE and the Government knew a load of women had cancer, that the women didnā€™t know, and that the HSE and the Government refused to tell the women. They believe ludicrous Matt Le Tissier style nonsense that Tony Holohan murdered Vicky Phelan and Emma Mhic Mhathuna and Lynsey Bennett.

Even more sober people believe ā€œwomen died needlesslyā€. The women whose tests were re-examined in the audit had already been diagnosed with cancer. Vicky Phelan was diagnosed in 2014. Communication or lack of communication of audit results had zero to do with whether women had cancer or not.

11 Likes

They both died ?!

Simpsons Thats The Joke GIF

Itā€™s how you tell em

Cyclists are amongst the best road users.

1 Like

Itā€™s not that warm.

5 Likes

Itā€™s cowld in the shade

40th and 50th birthday parties are like being in a bar full of strangers but you are compelled to make inane small talk with strangers youā€™d walk by in a bar and in a normal bar thereā€™s usually a lad with a story he ainā€™t telling at that party

3 Likes

Itā€™s actually notā€¦ Itā€™s chilly enough in the shade too

1 Like

Parts of today and yesterday were warm in the capital. The rest of the last week or so thereā€™s been a near constant cold breeze. Alot warmer out west though apparently. I wouldā€™ve given anything for a caravan in Roundstone this weekend but not to be :frowning:

1 Like

Iā€™m at one now. Thereā€™s a lad wearing sunglasses on his head. Itā€™s dark. And two watches. A nice one. An apple one.

Maybe trash the step count for the evening.

The music is good and the missus is laughing at my seethe at your man so every cloudā€¦.

Fucks up your weekly average doing that.

2 Likes

The middle age athlete is a bigger threat to humanity than trans teenagers.

A lot of these types Iā€™d say

1 Like