Unpopular opinions or views you hold

Gaa are buzzing, filled out the Carkie white elephant.

The same situation with GAAGO was in place this time last year.

At the time the relevant people around the initiative, including that gobshite Declan McBennett said that they would review this year’s arrangements in light of the negative feedback.

They basically kept the head down and did nothing.

Then last week Simon Harris is in Cork on the election trail and forecably attacks the GAA that Cork and Limerick was going to be shown on it.

Que a lot of ‘won’t someone think of the children’ and Claire Byrne getting involved. Some clown ringing in to say her daughter a nurse paid for a patient to watch it.

Anyway, I don’t have any problem paying but I have a problem with the difficulty in streaming the bloody thing to a telly!! That’s the biggest issue j think.

1 Like

The GAAGo app is excellent if you have the smart tv. I will say, its annoying having to verify every time though and irksome if you have to talk an older person through it.

Older people are lost.

I have the app on the tablet. The streaming button doesn’t work in GAAGO. I have to use the feature on the tablet which took me ages to find but I have it now so it’s no problem.

GAA go would be excellent if it was just added to the sky box. I only watch the hurling but the analysis is much better

6 Likes

Outside of football subscription channels have not been good for the popularity of a sport.

An app on the Sky Box? Because you couldn’t financially make it a channel that’s on there the whole time only to show a few games at weekend.

Why couldn’t you?

Show repeats during the week and all the stuff they put on Youtube around analysis.

And if you are very stuck just keep showing the 2004 Munster Final on loop.

I’d say those few hours on the weekend would beat whatever rating RTE+1 or News Now get daily outside of doctor’s waiting areas and kitchens in offices with nobody watching

For it to become a fully fledged TV station, I think (and could be wrong) that there would be significantly more costs involved. It would also need to become licensed. So there’s that. And for a station that’s only really popular for X amount of months a year.

I think - and may be wrong again - it could be more expensive to broadcast sport using traditional transmission than streaming technology also.

If it became a channel, the subscription fee would have to significantly increase.

We are spoiled in this country,

Expect all our GAA matches to be put on a screen in front of us from the comfort of our armchair.

It’s not that long ago since the only televised GAA matches were the All Ireland semis and finals.

11 Likes

The quality of the GAA games was much better when we watched them on the radio.

1 Like

The only Dublin Meath match from the four in 1991 shown on TV was the last one.

To listen to the other three you’d think they were crackers but watching them back again they were putrid.

Listening to a close run GAA match on the radio in the car while going for a drive to somewhere nobody wanted to go to in the baking sunshine on your two weeks summer holiday as the car radio was only radio available to the aul fella was peak 1980s.

7 Likes

Had you really got an Irish dad if, on the rare time he came to the beach with you all, he didnt sit for most of the day in the car listening to Micheal?

2 Likes

Away from GAA I recall my school days sneaking a listen to Liverpool matches on Five Live when I was meant to be doing my homework.

The clock radio in my Mam and Dad’s room was the best bet - all you had to do was keep the volume low and watching the creaking floorboard that would give you away as my Mam was in the room below,

All for some random Coca Cola cup match.

7 Likes

Micheal was on in our car blaring when we were making the silage and helping with our neighbour’s silage.

1 Like

That doesn’t stand up to any scrutiny.

Basically all the games were free to air ten years ago.

Suddenly now you have to pay for the best ones.

1 Like

The fact that the public service broadcaster owns half of GAAGO and decides to take attractive fixtures off of TV is a bit wrong to be fair.

No you don’t: Ridiculous statement.

2 Likes