Urban Football Myths

Just heard this on talksport, feel free to add more.

Myth: Chelski were nothing without Abramovic
Fact: Chelsea were 2nd in the league when he bought them

Myth: West Ham always play attacking football
Fact: West Ham regularly play 1 up front or put 10 men behind the ball against “big clubs”

Myth: Liverpool and Everton is a “friendly” derby
Fact: Bollocks, Gerrard took loadsa abuse about his kids while taking a corner last year.

Myth: The North East of England is a football hotbed
Fact: When Funderland were rock bottom last season they were getting crowd of 25,000 less than their last home gate.

Myth: Newcastle are a big club
Fact: They haven’t won anything since 1957

the liverpool fans sang about lee carsleys handicapped child - horrible stuff

Could someone explain the circumstances surrounding Steve Archibald’s sole appearance for Home Farm about 10 years ago?

Seriously? That’s surely the lowest of the low.

En Masse? In the ground?

Or just a few gobshites?

[quote=“John Houlding”]En Masse? In the ground?

Or just a few gobshites?[/quote]

every club has idiots - even my beloved Roma/Rovers/Celtic have the odd one

this was en masse - enough for all the players/officials to hear - anyway my orange friend heysel proved that the LFC fans are no angels

Stick to the point here, when did Liverpool sing about Carsley’s child en masse?

It’s certainly no worse than the time Shamrock Rovers fans were taunting a Drogheda player (Simon Webb?) about his wife’s death from cancer. There’s any number of incidents you can use to generalise any team’s support and tar them all with the same brush. Rovers fans are hardly in any position to be ponting fingers.

a vocal minority sang it at anfield last year

Myth: Celtic get 65,000 at home every week (copyright Sky Sports Soccer Saturday). Capacity is only 60,000.
Myth: Liverpool are a huge club fan base wise. They regularly failed to sell out their champions league games only a few years ago.

Maybe they did. I was there and I didn’t hear it. I have heard the odd prick/small group of pricks sing it, but never in the ground.

And yes, the ‘friendly derby’ is a myth.

that was one fan making one inappropiate comment - he was subsequently banned & the club apologised to Webb - what an idiotic thing to do but as I said that all clubs have idiots following them - never said anything otherwise - just highlighting in relation to this opening post on this thread what was sung
celtic fans sing about davie cooper-GGA fans dont sing but do shout out inappropiate comments- utd fans sing about hillsborough/heysel
liverpool fans sing about munich/players having handicapped childred & rovers fans sing about a certain ex chairman having a heart attack
all clubs have their idiots

Myth: Manchester United are the biggest club in the world.
Reality: The likes of Real Madrid have far more domestic league titles and European Cup titles, a bigger stadium and more paying supporters.

read my earlier posts you half wit - i clearly said all clubs have their idiots - i was just highlighting the myth of the friendly derby

[quote=“Bandage”]Myth: Manchester United are the biggest club in the world.
Reality: The likes of Real Madrid have far more domestic league titles and European Cup titles, a bigger stadium and more paying supporters.[/quote]

benfica have the most fans

[quote=“larryduff”]
Myth: Liverpool are a huge club fan base wise. They regularly failed to sell out their champions league games only a few years ago.[/quote]

Very true. If Istanbul hadn’t happened, Liverpool wouldn’t sell out all home games.

Well I’m obviously a half wit if you say so.

Another myth while I’m at it: Everton are the Catholic club in Liverpool. They were founded by Methodists.

the support base was traditionally catholic & irish though so they would be the irish club - LFC was founded by an orangeman

Depends what you call fans. They had an average of 39,000 at their games last year, capacity is well over 60,000.

Dortmund’s 72,000 average last year was third after Real Madrid then Man United. They have a massive fanbase.

Another one I’ll throw in:

Myth: Socrates was turned down by Shelbourne or Pat’s (depending on the myth’s source) while a medical student in Trinity.

Truth: He never even studied in Ireland.