Van Morrison

The Doc on One yesterday was probably the best I’ve heard since the Seán Mannion one a few years back. It was all about the making of Astral Weeks, including some excellent insights into what was going on in Van Morrison’s life at that time (e.g. his contract with Bang Records, marriage to Janet “Planet” Rigsbee, etc.).

Of course, Sir George Ivan Morrison refused to have anything to do with the documentary, missing the opportunity to reunite with his band from 1968.

4 Likes

I’d heard a promo for this and made a note to listen back, thanks for posting the link.

Heard it yesterday while driving Limerick to Cork … he’s a right odd ball but a daycent album all the same.

1 Like

Listened to this by chance yesterday. Very entertaining

Was that around the time he was hanging around with Jim Morrison?

Probably after. I remember reading something about Them and The Doors performing together, so that would have been around 1966.

1 Like

One of my favourite albums

You always struck me as a man of impeccable taste, if a little bit of an odd-ball.

1 Like

The Doors were the support act for Them in the Whiskey A-Go-Go in LA, and apparently Jim copied a lot of his stage antics from Van.

Apparently Van was a wired little bastard back then.

The RTE Documentary podcast is a must subscribe, some absolutely wonderful gems in there, this is simply yet another. Some scrap too mind you, but on the whole, well worth subscribing to

1 Like

I know I mentioned it above, but the Seán Mannion doc, Never Knocked Down, was outstanding.

2 Likes

The ESB one about the rural electrification was wonderful also, the one about yer man Kevin McClory was outstanding. As was the Orwell Wheelers

They’re all wonderful.

This is well worth picking up.

1 Like

Outstanding podcast, listened to it this morning. A pity the cranky old fart didn’t contribute to it mind you, but thats not surprising.

1 Like

Moondance is a superior album imo

Moondance is definitely more accessible, but it’s a stretch to say it’s superior to Astral Weeks. It’s like saying Nevermind is superior to In Utero. Just as In Utero was Cobain’s masterpiece, Astral Weeks remains Morrison’s.

Saint Dominic’s Preview is better than both of them, as is arguably his forgotten album Veedon Fleece.

As I’ve gotten older I nearly prefer Veedon Fleece but Astral Weeks the only one where every single track is killer.

1 Like