Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

I remember Brick playing an all Ireland u 21 football semi v an Alan brogan inspired Dublin in 2003 .

Age more than anything, himself and Moran have been outstanding in the All Ireland series and I would have been critical myself of both after the Cork game.

Like McGrath, he may have seen enough this year to convince him to go to the well again.

Full back is the big problem. De Burca and Fives might make a decent fist of it but both are far more suited to the half back line. The likes of Connors, Gleason and Bennett have the physical size for it unfortunately and Mahoney probably lacking the pace for it.

Sort out full back which would allow De Burca to play centre back and find a way to get consistent performances from Austin Gleeson they will go very close.

They have forward options to play 6 forwards. Devine and Shanahan as target men, Dunford, Ryan and O’Halloran have serious pace while Curran and Bennett are decent finishers. You could argue that none have really performed consistently but all could potentially thrive in an orthodox forward line if the likes of Moran, Gleeson, De Burca and Barron are grafting and winning ball in the middle third

I like the idea of tadhg to fullback.
Aussie should be playing 6 then but is he trusted?

Brick was a better footballer underage and he was a very good one.

He should get Mullane in as forwards coach and general motivator next year.

1 Like

After Tipp beat Waterford in the Minor championship in 2012, I signalled out TDB & Stephen Bennett as the lads for the future. Gleeson played that night but the two boys were well ahead of him.

I wouldn’t let him near a bunch of bananas.

I know the few bob he gets off the media work must come in handy but I really wish Mullane would fuck up at this stage. He’s becoming an embarrassment to the county.

1 Like

Ah he’s harmless enough. He’s not a conceited prick like some of those pundit lads.

3 Likes

John Mullane was involved with the Waterford under 21s in 2015 and actually told the players he would ride down the quay naked if they won the all ireland.

They went out and got beat by an average enough Clare team in Ennis

1 Like

People underestimate the value of a top class full back such as Burke

To be fair the game was away in Ennis on the Wednesday after Munster senior final .

I remember it well and a lot of things went against them.on the night but Mullane is far too emotional for management

That is true .

He’s an awful dose

So are you implying that they threw the game?

1 Like

No

2 Likes

Nothing there that hasn’t been said already Derek needs a good sleep.

I don’t know is there a natural full back in the county and that’s the problem - unless TDB moves back there and D Fives to 6 or move Gleeson back to 6, Derek seems v loyal to Coughlan however but I think full back is the route problem, would Conor Gleeson do a job there?