Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

Is he not coaching youngsters in the club?

Cahill to walk on Sunday seemingly once Waterford are eliminated.

Looks like Cahill has lost the dressing room.

Christ above, did I fall asleep and wake up back in the 80’s.

1 Like

Liverpool didn’t win the league.

3 Likes

You’d wonder what sort of training they were doing when you drill down through the accumulation of injuries this year and how utterly flat they’ve been since the start of the Championship.

It’s amusing that only 4 weeks ago, maybe even only 8 days ago that Waterford were the fancy of some so called respected pundits to win the All Ireland. That should put to bed any notions of Waterford winning an All Ireland for another 10-15 years.

Have ye any insight what the rest of the management and backroom team is like? Waterford seemed to be on a shoestring under the last management, do they have all the support they need now? If it’s an overtraining thing then either their S&C is rubbish or else Cahill didn’t listen to it. Unless perhaps it’s mental tiredness? Or maybe Cahill “lost the dressing room” somehow. That last seems unlikely though, the team showed a lot of togetherness and Cahill stayed with them when he could have jumped.

Hardly news that Waterford are turning on their manager … bring Derek home …

Can Ballygunner be blamed for this?

1 Like

Hardly, they’ve been quite successful. I’d say the problem stems from the Mount Sion club as they are now forced to rely on past glories. They could be a difficult crowd if here is any yardstick……

One by-product I would see of Ballygunner dominance across every grade is that other clubs in Waterford are just beaten down and have no great expectation of winning at club level in Waterford. That’s a mindset that can seep into county team.

That Waterford team look like a crowd that need to go on the piss together for a week. Any internal issues would surface by day 2. A good bust up and clear the air. Having two Tipp cunts involved should mean the trigger for a row would never be far away.

2 Likes

It is also relevant that when Waterford had their last great team 57-63 Mount Sion were in the middle of a nine in a row but the Mount Sion team backboned the county team and routinely had 6,7 and 8 men on the team and those men were big characters like Seamus Power, Frankie Walsh and Philly Grimes. They were also managed by a Mount Sion man, John Keane. Ballygunner aren’t making anything like that contribution now.

1 Like

Who said they are turning on their manager?

Apart from SOK I don’t know of any other BG player that could/should be playing

Would Leavy be worth a look in midfield?

He is raw but has something about him. I like the cut of him

1 Like

If The Ballygunner management team were on charge of Waterford I’d say we see a few more of them involved.

Kevin Mahony might be worth a look at.

Likes of Ian Kenny, Peter Hogan have had any number of chances at this stage and Pauric Mahony is done.

I have heard it said often enough but we just don’t seem to have a plan B with Cahill.
It’s just more of the same with different players if it is not working.