Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

Bevans had a family bereavement between the Limerick and Cork games.

Iā€™m guessing Cahill got a brainwave that Mcguinness would be a good idea to do a bit of coaching during this period while Bevans was unable to be around.

It backfired spectacularly.

1 Like

Everything McGuinness touches seems to turn to ash these days.

Didnā€™t Podrick Joyce get him in to coach Galway before they lost to Mayo in the Covid Connacht final?

The session the day after the League Final /Ballygunner victory bash was supposed to have been a joke, ran the shit out of them

Iā€™ve never been so pro-Blaas in my life. An utterly magic appointment that will either win them an All-Ireland or somehow get them relegated by Kerry.

2 Likes

Davy is a good appointment for 2023 anyway.

He will get absolute buy in youā€™d assume and maybe he has learned a bit from his managerial experience.

Cahill and Bevans going back to their own suits them too.

Itā€™s amazing

You see, it wasnā€™t the night of victory being the problem.

It was the day after & a few lads took Rd 3.

Cahill called training the morning after a game to stop a Monday Club culture taking hold.

Drink is terrible in excessā€¦ā€¦

The whole Davy Fitz cult just goes to show what a slice of luck can do for a personā€™s life.
Iā€™m sure Paul Kinnerk thanks heā€™s lucky stars he was there with Davy in 2013 to learn how to win an All Ireland for the great man himselfā€¦so tiz.

2 Likes

Davy will be on Morning Ireland in half an hour.

Isnā€™t the same S&C man Tommy Ryan with Tipp next season?

Yes.

I expect Tipp to get a good initial bounce from Cahill as heā€™ll have them fit, disciplined and organised but it will come at a cost in the medium/long run in terms of injuries and lads becoming pissed off with being treated like children.

Hopefully he learns from his mistakes with Waterford but i wouldnā€™t bank on it.

Nonsense carry on.

3 Likes

Exactly. Call a recovery or a pool session of some sort the morning after, or go do an activity as a group to keep them out of the pub but have a bit of craic.

Flogging the shite out of them is ridiculous carry on

They would have been better off gambling on a younger coach. In Davyā€™s best season over Wexford they won 2 games, one of which was against Carlow. Iā€™m sure the ā€˜professionalism in the setupā€™ (meaning lads running the dressing-room around handing the players their socks) will improve enormously. But on-field it will still be a battle of Davyā€™s tactical fever dreams vs reality.

He is getting them while they are on the floor though, which is what suits him best.

1 Like

I think with Tadhg De Burca he can return to his best but just needs game reps to build confidence back up. There can be a lot of apprehension and nervousness coming back from one cruciate let alone 2. I think he came back too soon after the first one. He was in a rush to be back for the intercounty season. He then ruptured the same knee again. Usually you would be talking 6-9 months for a cruciate and return to play but if you do it twice on same knee there is more damage and it takes 12 months or more.

Itā€™s not as linear as that. There are four ligaments in there and you can do other damage too. It might not feel right to him either and he could just have lost confidence in it

1 Like

Out of his last 10 championship seasons, Davy has essentially had 2 that you could say he done well and 8 which werenā€™t good.

2013 when he won an All Ireland with Clare - aided by the draw failing into place nicely and not having to face either Kilkenny or Tipperary who won every other All Ireland 2006-16.

2019 with Wexford when they won Leinster, albeit as you said they did only win 2 of their 6 championship games, 1 of those wins against Carlow and then imploded in an All Ireland semi final after 55 minutes from what looked like an unassailable position of 5 or 6 points up and a man up.

Itā€™s a modest enough record for such a high profile coach.

3 Likes

Iā€™d have 2012 and 2017 on the ā€œcreditā€ side.

I get that. I have had plenty of experience with knees and scans over the years and have done it myself. You could have any amount of other complications like menisci damage medial/lateral, PCL, LCL or MCL in tandem with ACL. Bakers cyst, bone avulsions/fractures, tendon damage. Usually meniscus or cartilage can be tricky one to get right. You really dont want to be getting keyhole on that at his age if indeed that is source of his discomfort. He really couldnt have been in better hands though than Ray Moran. He is one of the leaders in that area and did myself many years ago. Of course like anything you need a bit of luck and a lot of hard work. It would be great to see him bounce back but it could take another bit of time to get it truly right and where he is confident in it. He is a vital cog for Waterford.

1 Like

2017 Wexford lost a Leinster Final to Galway by 9 points. Lost to Waterford by 4 in quarter final, a game they trailed by 6-8 points for much of, scored a goal last kick of game.

2012 did Clare even win a Championship match? Maybe over Laois or Dublin.