Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

Nice piece by Michael Foley. What Martin Óg Morrissey said about how that great Waterford team and himself were regarded, while not the acme of modesty, is true.

On 1963… Fr Tommy Maher made an unusual choice of placing Johnny McGovern, formerly a star wing back and now in his thirties, at centre forward, so as to negate Morrissey. Johnny himself told me a few years ago that the plan devised involved him striking first time every chance he could, moving the ball out of centre forward territory, so as to deny his marker influence.

The plan worked terrifically well during the first half, with Kilkenny leading by 3-6 to 1-5 at halftime. Back then, seven points was a serious gap.

But Morrissey and/or Waterford’s management figured out the dilemma at halftime. Morrissey started coming out to ball with McGovern and striking far more deliveries. Then Oliver Gough, a more imposing player in physical terms but also a great ballplayer, came on at centre forward for Johnny – and Kilkenny just about won, by three points, having led by 11 points midway through the second half.

Placing SeĂĄn Clohosey at midfield was another key decision. He hurled excellent.

There is a general acceptance that Killkenny’s 1963 full back line remains the worst ever one with which the county won a Senior All Ireland. So Martin Óg is entitled to his bit of a cut in that regard. Those full back problems came home to roost against Tipperary in the 1964 All Ireland.

7 Likes

Read from the bottom up

4 Likes

I’d say that book is a great read.

It’s written by the late Dickie Roche. Dickie was on the goal (cc @binkybarnes) in the 1957 All Ireland final. Dickie left a ball through his legs in the last few minutes and Waterford lost by a point. Philly Grimes never spoke to him again.

1 Like

Are Philly Grimes’ medals still on display in the bar?

I haven’t been in there in a while. It’s a craft beer pub now, the daughter doesn’t run it anymore so I couldn’t say for sure.

It’s years since I was in there

I was on there about 6 weeks ago. Plenty of regular stuff in there along with all the craft stuff.
It’s run by the Ryan’s now I think.

That was some win for De La Salle in the U20 at the weekend.

2 Likes

Beat Ballygunner? They beat them in a minor final recently too.

Yep even with Ronan Power at 6 and Fitzgerald at 11, DLS edged a dogfight 14-13.

The young subs on the BG senior team arent improving sitting on the bench anyway. Thats for sure.

1 Like

James & Billy Power related?

Padraig Fitzgerald of Kill Agri fame?

Don’t know the answer to either tbh.

cc @peddlerscross

Billy and James are brothers.

1 Like

Tipp at 6/4 are some price.

Paddy Leavy is on a hiding to nothing here. Should have been given a break after the club ended.

Would lads really bet on pre season GAA tournaments?

That’s when you know you have a problem

2 Likes

These are investment opportunities

1 Like

Looks like my money has swung the market here.

Tipp now 10/11.